Dr. John Percival McKinnon was born on the 23rd of July, 1872 in Erin Twp, Wellington County. Dr. McKinnon was the 3rd of 9 children born to Malcolm McKinnon and the former Mary Thomson. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Sarah Elsie McKinnon (who died of Scarlet Fever on the 22nd of January, 1872 at the age of 3 1/2), Herbert Lachlan McKinnon, Wilfred Oliver McKinnon, Chester Arthur McKinnon, Edgar V. McKinnon, Daniel Gordon McKinnon, Mary Ella McKinnon and Archibald Lynn McKinnon.
Prior to going to medical school, Dr. McKinnon was a teacher at the Orangeville High School for 6 years. Dr. McKinnon graduated M.B. in 1904 from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine. After completing his internship, Dr. McKinnon practiced medicine in Wheatley.
Dr. McKinnon married Mary Alice Black on the 4th of July, 1906 in Eramosa Twp, Wellington County. Mrs. McKinnon was born in Eramosa Twp on the 7th of June, 1873. She was the 5th of 8 children born Hugh Black and the former Susan Pearen. Her father died in 1909 and on his death record, his occupation was listed as postmaster. At the time of her marriage, Mrs. McKinnon was a postal clerk. Mrs. McKinnon’s siblings were; Norris Humphrey Black, Henry Pearen Black (who died of tuberculosis at the age of 43), Lois Lavina Black, Herbert John Black, James Edward Black, George Ganson Black (who drowned at the age of 18 years old) and Albert Black (who died of tuberculosis at the age of 26).
After their marriage Dr. and Mrs. McKinnon resided in Peel Twp in Wellington County and by 1921, they resided at 109 Norfolk Street in Guelph.
Dr. McKinnon died at his residence on Norfolk Street on the 6th of March, 1942. Mrs. McKinnon died on the 20th of May, 1966. They were buried at the Everton Cemetery in Wellington County.
*Dr. McKinnon’s younger brother’s, Chester Arthur McKinnon and (Dr.) Archibald Lynn McKinnon served with the Canadian Armed Services during World War I.
**Dr. McKinnon’s brother, Dr. Archibald Lynn McKinnon specialized in psychiatry and practiced at the Homewood Sanitarium in Guelph.