Dr. Alexander Campbell Fraser was born in Port Bruce (Elgin County), Ontario in 1856. He was the 7th of 11 children born to Charles Fraser and the former Jane Campbell. His father was a land surveyor and customs collector. Dr. Fraser’s siblings were; Sarah Fraser, Anson Soverille Fraser, Henrietta M. Fraser, Caroline Amelia Fraser, Charles Henry Fraser, John Stocks Fraser, William Adolphus Fraser, Effie Jane “Jennie” Fraser, Thomas Herbert Fraser and Minnie Janet Fraser. Between 1861 and 1863, the Fraser family moved to Wallaceburg.
Dr. Fraser graduated M.D. from McGill University (Montreal) in the spring of 1877. He joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 8th of May, 1877 and he appears in the 1878 Ontario Medical Register. Dr. Fraser returned to Wallaceburg and began the practice of medicine. Around 1880, Dr. Fraser moved to Embro (Ontario) and set up his medical practice and a drug store on Commissioners Street. His name appears in the 1881 Oxford County Business Directory under the Embro subtitle.
Dr. Fraser married Ida Ellie Dent in Embro on the 4th of May, 1881. Mrs. Fraser was born in Embro on the 23rd of February, 1861 the only child of John Dent and the former Mary Emma Coldough. Her father was a police officer and the Dent family resided at 4 Commissioners Street in Embro.
In September of 1881, Dr. and Mrs. Fraser emigrated to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Dr. Fraser had an extensive medical practice and he served as a Coroner in 1897 and 1898. In 1900, he was appointed as the attending physician of the Marine Hospital in Manitowoc.
By 1910, Dr. Fraser had retired.
Dr. Fraser died on the 4th of December, 1914. Mrs. Fraser died in Los Angeles, California on the 24th February, 1940.
*Dr. Fraser’s brother Dr. Anson Soverille Fraser graduated M.D. from Queen’s University in 1869 and he practiced medicine in Sarnia. Dr. Fraser’s sister Effie Jane “Jenny” Fraser married Dr. John Hilliard Knight. Dr. Knight also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.