Dr. James King was born in Southwold Twp near St Thomas, Ontario on the 12th of December, 1867. He was the 3rd of 6 children born to David King and the former Mary Victoria Potticary. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Abraham, Charlotte, George, Mary and Bertha.
Dr. King graduated from the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1893. He interned at Toronto General Hospital before beginning the practice of medicine at Staples in Essex County. According to the 1901 census, Dr. King was boarding with the Stephen Wismer family in Staples.
Dr. King routinely made the short journey into Chatham-Kent in the Tilbury area to deliver babies and tend to the injured and the sick.
In 1903 Dr. King travelled to New York and did post graduate studies at the Polyclinic Hospital. Upon his return to Ontario, he set up his medical practice in Leamington (Essex County). Dr. King saw patients in the Wheatley area (Chatham-Kent) which is just 12 km east of Leamington.
Dr. King married Ella May Daugherty on the 1st of May, 1907. Mrs. King was born in Leamington on the 30th of May, 1875, the youngest of 3 children born to Gordon Alexander Daugherty and the former Emma Jane Spencer. Her father was a Baptist Minister and her siblings were; Allen and Vilas. Mrs. King was a school teacher.
Dr. and Mrs. King resided at 29 Russell Street in Leamington.
Dr. King died in Leamington on the 24th of March, 1922 of complications from appendicitis. Mrs King died on the 17th of March, 1953. Dr. and Mrs. King were buried at Lakeview Cemetery, Essex County.