Dr. George C. Maxon was born on the 17th of February, 1833 in Marietta, Washington County in Ohio. Dr. Maxon attended Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio between 1851-1852. Further education information is unknown at this time.
Dr. Maxon enlisted in the American Civil War on the 19th of December, 1861 in Rolla, Missouri. He joined “E” Company of the 35th Illinois Infantry. His occupation on his enlistment recorded he was a teacher. Further it stated he was 6′ tall with dark hair and grey eyes. He rose to the rank of Second Lieutenant before he resigned on the 11th of July, 1862.
Prior to 1869, Dr. Maxon moved to Leamington in Essex County. He was married to Mary, who was born on the 4th of December, 1844, in Shiloh, Ohio. His son George M. Maxon, was born on the 20th of September, 1869 in Leamington. Dr. Maxon registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 13th of February, 1877. Dr. Maxon made the short trip from Leamington to Wheatley and Romney Twp in Kent County to see his patients. His name appears on birth and death records in Kent County in the 1880’s.
According to the 1901 census, he was retired and Dr. Maxon and his wife Mary were living with their son George and George’s wife Maud, in Leamington.
Dr. Maxon died on the 13th of July, 1908. At the time of his death he resided on Marlborough Street East in Leamington. He was buried at Lakeview Cemetery in Mersea Twp, Essex County. After his death, Mrs. Maxon applied for her husband’s Civil War Pension on the 24th of September, 1908. She died on the 21st of December, 1915. She was also buried at Lakeview Cemetery.