Dr. William “Peter” Derck was born in Harwich Twp (Chatham-Kent) on the 12th of October, 1866 to Andrew Joseph Derck and the former Rebecca McMullen. His mother had been previously married to Charles Curtis who died in Harwich Twp on the 12th of August, 1860 at the age of 30 years. Dr. Derck’s mother had brought 4 children with her, to her marriage to Andrew Derck. Those children were; Mary, Wesley, Nellie and Charles Curtis Jr. Dr. Derck’s parents had 2 more children after his birth; Elizabeth and Jenny. According to the 1871 census, the Derck family lived in Howard Twp (Chatham-Kent) and his father was a wagon maker. By 1881, the Derck family had moved to Harwich Twp and Dr. Derck was a public school teacher, saving money to attend medical school.
After completing medical school, Dr. Derck set up his medical practice in Chatham. The medical practice was advertised in the 1895-1896 Chatham Business Directory. The office was located at 14 St. George Street.
Dr. Derck married Mary Evdora Bass in Chatham on the 13th of September, 1893. Mrs. Derck was born in June of 1873 in Belle River, Ontario. She was the eldest of 4 children born to Daniel Edgar Bass and the former Annie Sophie Dickson. Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Sarah Jane Bass, Alfaretta Naomi Bass and Eva Lena Bass. When she was a small child, the Bass family moved to the Louisville area of Chatham-Kent, but by 1881 her family lived in Harwich Twp.
Dr. and Mrs. Derck moved to Port Huron, Michigan prior to the birth of their daughter Verna Elizabeth Derck who was born in May of 1898.
Mrs. Derck died on the 13th of May, 1912 in Port Huron. She was buried at Lakeside Cemetery in Port Huron, Michigan.
Dr. Derck married Margaret Mignon Wood on the 11th of April, 1917. She was born on the 29th of September, 1882 in Detroit, Michigan, the daughter of Leaunder Chubbock and the former Emma Thayer. Mrs. Derck had been widowed and brought a young son, Milton Chubbick Wood (father Charles Milton Wood) to the marriage. According to the 1920 United States Census, Dr. and Mrs. Derck were residing at 30 Huron Blvd, in Marysville, Michigan. Mrs. Derck’s parents lived next door. According to the 1930 census, Dr. and Mrs. Derck were residing at 4110 Gratiot Road, in Marysville.
Dr. Derck died in the Port Huron Hospital on the 2nd of September 1946. At the time of his death, he resided at 4110 Military Street. He was buried next to his first wife at the Lakeside Cemetery. Mrs. Margaret Derck died in July of 1967 and she was also buried at Lakeside Cemetery.
*Dr. Derck’s daughter Verna (Derck) Tappan died in 1990 and she was also buried at Lakeside Cemetery.