Dr. Walter Davidson Wiley was born on the 29th of August, 1870 in Adelaide Twp (Middlesex County), Ontario. He was the 7th of 9 children, born to John Nelson Wiley and the former Margaret Jamieson. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Nelson Wiley, Sanfield Archibald Wiley, William Dea Wiley (died when he was 4 years old), James M. Wiley (died when he was 2 years old), William James Wiley, John Irvine Wiley, Frederick Charles Wiley and the only girl, Hattie May Wiley.
Dr. Wiley taught school in Adelaide Twp, before going to medical school at the University of Western Ontario. Upon his graduation in 1895 he joined his brother, Dr. John Irvine Wiley in his medical practice on St. George Street in Dresden.
Dr. Wiley married Caroline “Carrie” Love, on the 2nd of September, 1896. Mrs. Wiley was born in Woodstock on the 9th of February, 1871. She was the 5th of 6 children born to James Love and the former Caroline Lindley. Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Mary Ann Love, Elizabeth Love, Emily Love, Matilda Love and the only boy James Love. Her father died on the 10th of May, 1875, when Mrs. Wiley was just 4 years old. Her mother married John McKellar in Woodstock on the 14th of December, 1881. By 1891, Mrs. McKellar was widowed again and she was living in Dresden, with her daughter Caroline and her son James. (Mrs. Wiley and her brother James Norman Love took the name of their step-father “McKellar” on the 1891 census). Mrs. Wiley was a dress-maker on that census. Mrs. McKellar lived with Dr. and Mrs. Wiley after their marriage until her death in 1917.
Dr. and Mrs. Wiley had 2 daughters born in Dresden. Lois Yvonne Wiley was born on the 30th of January, 1899 and Mary Leaellor Wiley was born on the 24th of December, 1901. They resided at 40 Brown Street in Dresden. Sadly Mary died of pneumonia on the 10th of May, 1904. She was buried at the Dresden Cemetery.
Dr. and Mrs. Wiley moved to Brantford, Ontario in 1905. Dr. Wiley was Medical Officer of the Brantford Public Schools. He served as an Alderman in Brantford in 1916 and 1917.
In his spare time, Dr. Wiley enjoyed lawn bowling and playing golf. He was a member of the Gore Lodge and the Doric Lodge, A.F. & A.M., the Woodman of the World, the I.O.O.F. and the Canadian Order of Foresters. Dr. Wiley was the first President of the Brantford Lions Club.
Dr. Wiley’s wife Carrie Wiley, died on the 6th of January 1917, the same day as her mother who lived at the same residence, 164 Park Ave., in Brantford. Mother and daughter are separated by 1 page in Brant County death records. Mrs. Wiley’s cause of death was listed as apoplexy and Mrs. McKellar died of “senile decay”. Mrs. Wiley was buried at Mount Hope Cemetery in Brantford. Mrs. McKellar was also buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.
Dr. Wiley married Annie “Gertrude” Best, on the 30th of April, 1918. Mrs. Wiley was born in Leeds County on the 13th of April, 1891. She was the youngest of 2 children born to Edwin Best and the former Jessie Stuart. Her parents were farmers and she had a sister named Mary. Dr. and Mrs. Wiley were not known to have had any children together. Mrs. Wiley was a nurse.
Dr. Wiley retired from the practice of medicine in 1945.
Dr. Wiley’s wife Gertrude Wiley died at the Brantford General Hospital on the 25th of April, 1945. Dr. Wiley died at the Brantford General Hospital on the 6th of February, 1946. At the time of his death, Dr. Wiley resided at 207 Chatham Street in Brantford. Dr. and Mrs. Wiley were buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.
*Dr. Wiley’s brother Dr. John Irvine Wiley is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.