Dr. Robert Clinton Young was born in Barton Twp, Wentworth County, Ontario on the 29th of July, 1850. Dr. Young was the 3rd of 8 children born to Alexander Young and the former Hannah Kirkendall. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; James William Young, George Milton Young, Harriett Elizabeth Young, Wellington Alexander Young, Peter Franklin Young and Miles O. Young. His grandfather James F. Young was one of the first settlers in the Hamilton area.
Dr. Young was educated in local Hamilton primary schools including the Hamilton Grammar School before moving on to Montreal in 1869 to study medicine. He graduated M.D. from McGill University in 1873. The topic of his graduation thesis was Erysipelas. Dr. Young joined the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 28th of April, 1873. He interned at the Hamilton City Hospital then set up his medical practice in Ridgetown. He is listed in the 1875 and 1880 Kent County Business Directories as practicing medicine in Ridgetown. Dr. Young also appears in the November 15th, 1877 edition of the East Kent Plaindealer. He was appointed as a coroner in 1879.
Dr. Young married Martha Ellen Mattice on the 14th of October, 1879 in Ridgetown. Mrs. Young was born in Seneca Twp, Haldimand County on the 7th of March 1856. She was the 5th of 9 children born to Reuben Mattice and the former Mary Jane Hunter. Her siblings were; James Harvey Mattice, Emily Mattice, John Eastman Mattice, Mary Ann Mattice, William Francis Mattice, Matilda Elizabeth Mattice, Annie Mattice and Walter Mattice. At the time of her marriage Mrs. Young’s parents were farmers in Harwich Twp (Chatham-Kent).
Dr. Young was active in his community of Ridgetown. He served on the Library Board for many years, serving terms as Chairman. He was a Trustee at the Ridgetown High School. Dr. Young was a member of Town Council and he was elected Mayor in 1887. He was made a Director of the Howard Township Agricultural Society. Dr. Young was a member of the International Order Of Foresters and he was a member of the Medical Board of the High Court for more than 23 years. He was a member and served as Master of the Howard Lodge No. 391 of the A.F. & A.M. He was a companion of the Erie Lodge No. 73. Dr. Young also belonged to the Ridgetown Lodge No 144 of the I.O.O.F. and he served for 23 years on the Medical Board of the high court of the Canadian Order of Foresters.
Dr. and Mrs. Young built a home at 50 Main Street in Ridgetown in 1883. Dr. and Mrs. Young had one son, Clinton Mattice Young who was born on the 23rd of November 1884, in Ridgetown.
Dr. and Mrs. Young owned a summer residence in Erieau. The family enjoyed fishing, boating and swimming in the lake with family and friends.
Dr. and Mrs. Young along with their son Clinton, moved to Detroit, Michigan in 1909. According to the 1910 census, the Young family was residing at 386 2nd Avenue.
Dr. Young died at his residence in Detroit, Michigan on the 22nd of November, 1913. At the time of his death, Dr. Young resided at 283 Merrick Street in Detroit. He was buried at Woodmere Cemetery, in Detroit.
According to the 1920 census, Mrs. Clinton and her son were residing at 50 Rosedale Court in Detroit. At that time her son Clinton was an insurance adjuster but he would eventually go on to become a lawyer.
Mrs. Young died at her residence on Rosedale Court in Detroit on the 30th of June, 1944.
*Dr. Young’s son Clinton Young served during World War I and World War II with the United States Army. When Clinton Young enlisted in World War II he was 57 years old. He died in 1954.
The photo below is of the home that Dr. Young had built for his family in 1883. The home is located at 50 Main Street in Ridgetown and Dr. Young lived there until his move to Michigan in 1908.