Dr. Richard “Langford” Patteson was born in February of 1853 in Howard Township (Chatham-Kent). He was the youngest of 7 children born to Col. Walter Patteson and the former Eliza Langford. His father had been a Colonel in the Canadian Militia. Col. Patteson’s name appears on payrolls in 1839. At the time of Dr. Patteson’s birth his parents were farmers in Howard Twp. His siblings were; Lydia “Eliza” Patterson, Mary Anna Patterson, Edward Henry Patterson (who died at the age of 18), Frances Maria Patterson, Henry Albert Patterson and Florence Eleanor Patterson.
Dr. Patteson graduated M.D. from Queens University Faculty of Medicine (Kingston) in 1885. After his graduation, Dr. Patteson practiced medicine in Dresden and the surrounding area until the fall of 1886 when Dr. Patteson went to Dublin, Ireland and London, England to further his studies. He returned to his patients in Dresden in 1887.
In October of 1890, Dr. Patteson immigrated to Buffalo, New York, where he continued the practice of medicine.
That same year he married Pattie Roes. She was born on the 19th of April, 1866 in Clogrennane, Carlow County, Ireland. She was the daughter of James Roes. Dr. Patteson had met his wife in 1886, while he was in Dublin studying.
Dr. and Mrs. Patteson did not have any children.
Dr. Patteson’s name appeared in the 1899 Buffalo, New York City Directory. His medical office was located at 64 Niagara Street. Dr. Patteson also lectured and taught at the University of Buffalo.
Dr. Patteson died at his residence, 466 Franklin Street in Buffalo, New York on the 7th of February, 1923. Dr. Patteson was buried in the family plot at Trinity Anglican Church Cemetery near Morpeth. There is a memorial plaque that lists the names, birth years and death years of Mr. Walter Patteson, his wife Eliza and their children. An article about Dr. Patteson’s death appeared in the Chatham Daily News on the 31st of March, 1923, that concluded, “He had the reputation of being a conscientious medical advisor, a true friend and a Christian gentleman.”
After the death of her husband, Mrs. Pattie Patteson continued to live in Buffalo at 466 Franklin Street.
*Dr. Patteson’s brother, Henry also became a physician. He practiced medicine in Omaha, Nebraska.