Dr. Patrick Nylan Kenny was born in Chatham, Ontario on the 18th of April, 1919. Dr. Kenny was the youngest of 5 children born to Martin George Kenny and the former Marie Blanche Bechard. Dr. Kenny’s father was born in Galloway County, Ireland and immigrated to Canada with his parents and siblings in 1878. Dr. Kenny’s mother was born in Pain Court. His parents were innkeepers at the Aberdeen Hotel in Chatham and his siblings were; Joseph Kenny (born and died in 1903), Marie Anna Sarah Kenny (born in 1905), Hector Joseph Kenny (born in 1907 and died of whooping cough on the 12th of September, 1907 at the age of 7 months) and Adrian Joseph Kenny (born in 1914). In 1921, the Kenny family resided at 186 Wellington Street West (Chatham). Both of Dr. Kenny’s parents died in 1927; his mother on the 16th of February and his father on the 8th of October. Dr. Kenny’s paternal grandmother’s maiden name was Nylan.
Dr. Kenny was educated at St. Joseph’s and Blessed Sacrament Schools in Chatham. He attended medical school at the University of Western Ontario, graduating M.D. in July of 1943.
Dr. Kenny married Mary Leona Faubert on the 26th of July, 1943 at St. Joseph’s Church in Chatham. Mrs. Kenny was born in Pain Court, Ontario on the 29th of December, 1918. She was the eldest of 2 daughters born to Ovilla Joseph David Faubert and the former Catherine Theresa Flanagan. Her parents were farmers and her sister’s name was Mary Mildred Teresa Faubert. After a honeymoon in Grand Bend, the couple left for Vancouver, British Columbia, where Dr. Kenny was doing his internship at St. Paul’s Hospital.
Dr. Kenny was a private in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corp in World War II. He served as a Medical Officer from 1942 to 1946. After the war, Dr. Kenny had a general medical practice in Chatham beginning in 1946. His office was located at 274 King Street West.
Dr. Kenny returned to Vancouver to undertake training in anesthesiology from 1951 until 1954. By now Dr. and Mrs. Kenny had 7 children; Barbara, David, Larry, Danny, Michael, Christopher and Kathleen. The family moved back to Chatham in November of 1954 and Dr. Kenny specialized in anesthesia. Dr. Kenny was a member of the Knights of Columbus.
In May of 1956, Dr. Kenny and his family moved back to Vancouver. He was on staff at St. Paul’s Hospital as an anesthesiologist. Mrs. Kenny devoted her time to volunteering at St. Paul’s Hospital and the Catholic Women’s League.
In his spare time Dr. Kenny enjoyed playing golf and tennis and he also enjoyed watching professional sports.
Dr. Kenny died at St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver on the 16th of March, 1993. Mrs. Kenny died in Vancouver on the 17th of March, 2010. Dr. and Mrs. Kenny were buried at the Gardens of Gethsemani Cemetery and Mausoleum in Surrey, (Greater Vancouver), British Columbia.