Dr. Myers Davison was born on the 16th of September, 1839 in Newburgh (Addington County), Ontario. He was the eldest of 5 children born to John M. Davison and the former Jane Swanzy. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Nancy Davison, Ira Herbert Davison, William S. Davison and John Lorenzo Davison. After graduating from local schools, he attended Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. Dr. Davison graduated M.D. and M.R.C.P.S. with honors in 1864. According to the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Davison joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 11th of June, 1866.
Dr. Davison originally started practicing medicine in Dresden but soon moved to the small rural community of Florence (Lambton County), Ontario. Even though Dr. Davison resided in Florence he continued to see patients in Chatham-Kent due to the close proximity.
On the 16th of February 1870, Dr. Davison married Eleanor Francis Williams at the residence of her parents in Dereham Twp, Oxford County. Mrs. Davison was born on the 19th of March 1843, in Lincoln Twp, Niagara County. She was the 5th of 12 children born to James Williams and the former Rebecca Smith. Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Maria Williams, Joseph Arthur Williams, Richard Thomas Williams, Margaret Williams, Emma Williams, James Francis Williams, Jane Rebecca Williams, twins Laird John Williams and Frances Georgiana Williams, Abigail Josephine Williams and Albert Williams. By 1861, the Williams family had moved to Dereham Twp, Oxford County.
Dr. and Mrs. Davison had 4 children all born in Florence; Alberta Florence Davison was born on the 19th of March, 1871, Theodora “Dora” Gertrude Davison was born on the 18th of April, 1874, Horace Williams Davison was born on the 15th of November, 1876 and John Reginald Davison was born on the 12th of January, 1880.
Dr. Davison involved himself in local politics, by serving as a councillor on the Euphemia Council in 1879. He served as the Reeve of Euphemia Township in 1883 and 1884. Dr. Davison also served as the President of the local Conservative party. He was active in the local Methodist Church and Dr. Davison served on the school board and was secretary-treasurer at one time. Dr. Davison appeared in the 1869 Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory, the 1874-1875 Kent County Directory and the 1889 Ontario Business Directory and Gazetteer as practicing in Florence.
In 1886, Dr. Davison sought remuneration from the Twp of Euphemia for $170.00 for vaccinating 926 people. The bill was approved and Dr. Davison received the funds.
Dr. Davison died of pneumonia in Florence on the 10th of February, 1891. He was buried at the Butler Cemetery, 30452 Brick Road, in Florence. Shortly after the death of Dr. Davison his daughter Alberta died of tuberculosis on the 1st of August, (1891). She was just 20 years old. Alberta was buried near her father at the Butler Cemetery. After the death of her husband and her daughter, Mrs. Davison, moved to London and resided at 462 Dufferin Avenue. According to the 1895 London City Directory, Mrs. Davison was living with her daughter Dora and her son, Horace.
Mrs. Davison died on the 27th of July, 1895 and she was buried at the Butler Cemetery near her husband and daughter Alberta. Horace Davison died on the 10th of March, 1935. He was single at the time of his death and he was also buried at the Butler Cemetery.
*Dr. Davison’s brother, Dr. John Lorenzo Davison M.D. became a member of the faculty at Trinity Medical College in Toronto. He did not practice medicine in Chatham-Kent, but he is also buried near his brother, Dr. Myers Davison at the Butler Cemetery.
**Mrs. Davison’s brother, Dr. Joseph Arthur Williams practiced medicine in Ingersoll, Ontario.
Tombstone Photo Credit: Anne F.