Dr. Lennox Herbert Douglas was born on the 6th of April, 1901 in Haldimand. His parents were Reverend William H. Douglas and the former Martha ‘Maud’ Torrance. Dr. Douglas had a younger brother named Wesley ‘Ryerson’ Scott Douglas who was born in 1904. In 1911 the Douglas family was living in Eden Mills, Ermosa Twp. By 1921 they had moved to York Twp and according to the census of that year, Dr. Douglas was 20 years old and a student.
Dr. Douglas graduated from The University of Toronto with a B.A. in 1924. He entered medical school in 1924 and graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1927. While Dr. Douglas attended university he played basketball and soccer. He was also a member of the Glee Club. Dr. Douglas took a post-graduate course at the Cleveland Maternity Hospital. He was the House Surgeon at the Hamilton General Hospital from 1927 to 1928.
In June of 1928, Dr. Douglas joined the practice of Dr. Stanley Alexander McDonald Richardson in Wallaceburg.
Dr. Douglas married Margaret Vicars Kent on the 28th of August, 1934 in Truro, Nova Scotia. Mrs. Douglas was born in Truro on the 28th of October, 1907. She was the youngest of 4 children born to Dr. Hedley Vicars Kent and the former Elizabeth R. Dickie. Her father was a physician and her siblings were; Jean, Helen and Muriel. Mrs. Douglas was raised at a residence located at 635 Prince Street in Truro. Dr. and Mrs. Douglas were married at her parents home by Dr. Douglas’ father. Mrs. Douglas was a librarian. At the time of his marriage Dr. Douglas was living and working in Galt, Ontario.
Dr. and Mrs. Douglas had 2 children, a daughter named Joan and a son named Robert.
Dr. Douglas served a term as the Chief of Staff at South Waterloo Memorial Hospital. He belonged to the Ontario Medical Association and the Canadian Medical Association. Dr. Douglas belonged to the Galt Kiwanis Club. In 1963 Dr. and Mrs. Douglas resided at 51 Highland Crescent in Galt.
Dr. Douglas died in Galt on the 5th of October, 1966. Mrs. Douglas died on the 10th of February, 2001. Dr. and Mrs. Douglas were buried at Mount View Cemetery, 80 Blenheim Road, in Cambridge, (formerly Galt), Ontario.
*Dr. Stanley Alexander McDonald Richardson is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.