Dr. John McWilliam McDonald was born on the 20th of August, 1889 in East Nissouri Twp (now part of an amalgamation called Zorra Township in Oxford County), Ontario. His parents, Hugh McDonald and the former Jean McWilliam were farmers near the small community of Lakeland. He had an older brother named James Alexander McDonald and 2 younger brothers; George Oliver McDonald and Robert Hugh McDonald. According to the 1911 census, Dr. McDonald was a teacher and he was living with his parents on the farm.
According to the 1922 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. McDonald graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1916. Dr. McDonald enlisted in World War I with the Canadian Army Medical Corp on the 18th of December, 1916. He was 5’6″ tall,165 lbs with blue eyes. On his Officers Declaration Paper, his occupation was listed as physician. He was deployed to England and France. Dr. McDonald’s unit was demobilized on the 15th of July, 1919 at which time he held the rank of Captain.
After the war, Dr. McDonald settled in Highgate and he opened his medical practice on Main Street. He was listed in the 1921 census in Highgate.
In 1922, Dr. McDonald travelled to London, England to do post graduate studies. He returned on December 11, 1923.
Dr. McDonald married Hazel Kern Huffman in Niagara, New York on the 4th of November, 1933. Mrs. McDonald was born in Brantford on the 7th of May, 1891 in Brantford Twp., Brant County, Ontario the youngest of 2 children born to Charles Huffman and the former Jane File. Her sister named Ariel May Huffman drowned accidentally in Lake Ontario on the 22nd of August, 1926. Mrs. McDonald was a registered nurse.
Dr. McDonald and his wife Hazel immigrated to Baltimore, Maryland and in 1940 they resided at 4429 Clifton Road. Dr. McDonald was a physician with the City of Baltimore Health Department. At the age of 52, Dr. McDonald enlisted in World War II with the United States Army.
By 1947, Dr. and Mrs. McDonald were living in Jacksonville, Florida.
Mrs. McDonald died in Duval, Florida in 1953. Dr. McDonald died in 1962.
*Both of Dr. McDonald’s younger brothers, also became physicians. Dr. George Oliver McDonald practiced in Detroit, Michigan and Dr. Robert Hugh McDonald practiced in Cleveland, Ohio.
**Dr. McDonald’s brother Dr. Robert Hugh McDonald served with the United States Armed Services during WWII.