John McGinnis 
Location served:
Years in Practice:
1892 to 1918
Area of Specialization:
Family Medicine  


Dr. John McGinnis was born on the 12th of July, 1860 near Arva (Middlesex County), Ontario.  He was the 3rd of 7 children born to Donald McGinnis and the former Jeanet McLean.  His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Hugh, Malcolm, Catherine, Sarah, Donald and Angus.

Dr. McGinnis graduated from the University of Western Ontario in London in 1892.  Dr. McGinnis began his medical practice in Seaforth, Ontario.

Dr. McGinnis married Ellen O’Mahoney on the 24th of January, 1894 in Mount Carmel, Middlesex County.  Mrs. McGinnis was born on the 4th of December, 1864, the 2nd of 11 children born to Daniel O’Mahoney and the former Eliza Elliott.  Her parents farmed in Townsend Twp (Norfolk County) and her siblings were; Mary Louisa, Annie, Maggie, Cornelius, Anastasia, Elizabeth, Gertrude, Bridget, Daniel and Hubert.

Dr. and Mrs. McGinnis had a son Daniel Hubert McGinnis, born to them on the 3rd of February, 1895 in Huron County.  Dr. McGinnis resided on Victoria Street and practiced medicine in Seaforth until 1912 when he moved his family to Wallaceburg.   He was known to have a busy medical practice.

Dr. McGinnis’s name appears in the 1913 Bell Telephone Directory.  He was located on Duncan Street and his telephone number was 184.

Dr. McGinnis died of complications from influenza in Wallaceburg on the 21st of October, 1918.  He was buried at Riverview Cemetery in Wallaceburg.  According to the 1921 census, Mrs. McGinnis continued to live in Wallaceburg with her son Daniel after her husband’s death.  They resided on Nelson Street.

Mrs. Ellen McGinnis died in Detroit, on the 19th of December, 1947.  She was buried at Riverview Cemetery beside her husband.

*His son Dr. Daniel McGinnis served with the Canadian Armed Serves during World War I.  At the time of his enlistment he was in medical school at the University of Western Ontario.  After the war, Dr. Daniel McGinnis completed his medical degree and moved to Detroit to practice medicine.  He also served in World War II with the United States Army.