Dr. John Alexander McLean was born on the 27th of May, 1902 near Rodney (Elgin County), Ontario. He was the youngest of 4 children born to Donald McLean and the former Effie McLennan. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Mary Bella, Maria and Tena. According to the 1921 census, 2 of his sisters, Maria and Tena were school teachers in Aldborough Twp. Dr. McLean was educated at the Rodney Public and Continuation School.
Dr McLean attended the University of Western Ontario and graduated M.D. on the 17th of October 1928. He spent the following year interning at Victoria Hospital in London, Ontario.
After interning in London, Dr. McLean continued his training at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, Illinois. This was followed by 18 months at the Eloise Hospital in Wayne County, Michigan. It was here that Dr. McLean met his first wife, the former Leona Pauline Fitzpatrick.
Mrs. McLean was a technician at the Eloise Hospital. They were married in Detroit, Michigan on the 16th of June, 1933. Mrs. McLean was born in Michigan in 1905, the daughter of Leo Fitzpatrick and the former Adele McCauley. Her father was an electrician who worked for the Hayes Electric Company in Lansing Michigan. In the late 1920’s Mr. Fitzpatrick was the supervising electrical contractor for the Fisher building in Detroit. Mrs. McLean was the eldest of 5 children. Her siblings were; Alma, Frank, Dorothea and Hazel. According to the 1920 U.S. Census, the Fitzpatrick family resided at 522 N Hayford Ave., in Lansing Michigan.
Dr. McLean practiced medicine in Detroit, Michigan until 1934 when Dr. and Mrs. McLean moved to Merlin where he opened his medical practice. Dr. McLean left his medical practice in Merlin in 1941 and enlisted in the Canadian Air Force as a Medical Officer during WWII. He was discharged in 1945 as a Flight Lieutenant and he returned to his practice in Merlin.
Mrs. McLean helped to found the Merlin Public Library and she worked as the librarian until 1962. She also helped to found the Merlin Horticultural Society and she belonged to the Order of the Eastern Star in Tilbury, Branch 140. Mrs. McLean was part of the planning committee for the Merlin Community Hall.
Mrs. McLean died at her residence on the 28th of March, 1964 at the age of 58. She was buried at the Merlin/Doyle Cemetery.
Dr. McLean married Grace “Leone” (Doan) Dent in Winnipeg, Manitoba on the 4th of April, 1965. Mrs. McLean was born in Saskatchewan on the 20th of September, 1897, the daughter of John Doan and the former Mary Taylor. She was the youngest of 6 children. Her siblings were; Charlotte, John, Mary, Florence and Robert. Her first husband George Dent died in 1960. Mrs. McLean had children with her husband from her first marriage.
Dr. McLean enjoyed playing chess and he was known to play golf when he was on vacation. Dr. McLean was an avid gardener with a large property.
Mrs. Leone McLean died on the 3rd of August, 1988 in Merlin. She was buried at the Merlin/Doyle Cemetery in Merlin.
Dr. McLean died on the 24th of March, 1991. He was buried next to his second wife, Leone.
*The webmaster is grateful to Dr. McLean’s nephew Michael Kibby, for his assistance.