Dr. John Albert Campbell was born on the 25th of July, 1872 on the Campbell Family Homestead, Hwy#3, Harwich Twp near Blenheim. He was the eldest of 8 children born to Archibald Campbell and the former Sarah Jane Buller. His siblings were; Ellen Maud Campbell, Jane May Campbell, Minnie Myrtle Campbell (who died on the 10th of November, 1881 at the age of 4 of Diptheria), Nora Isabell Campbell (who died on the 1st of November 1881 at the age of 17 months of diphtheria), Alva McKellar Campbell, Edith Viola Campbell and Archibald Ward Campbell. His father’s and mother’s families emigrated from Scotland, but his mother was born in the U.S. and his father was born in Canada.
Dr. Campbell was educated in Blenheim and attended secondary school in Ridgetown. He taught school in Pardoville (Chatham-Kent) after leaving high school and saved his wages to attend medical school.
Dr. Campbell graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1901. According to the 1928 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Campbell registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 19th of June, 1902. After practicing in Blenheim for a short time, he settled in Wheatley in 1903.
Dr. Campbell married Laura Belle Reek in Romney Twp (Chatham-Kent) on the 12th of September, 1905. Mrs. Campbell was born in Raleigh Twp, near Buckhorn on the 1st of August, 1884 the third of 4 children born to Samuel Reek and the former Mary Jane Smithson. Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Lucy Ann Reek, William Robert Reek and Florence Mary Reek. By 1901 the Reek family was living and farming in Romney Township.
Dr. and Mrs. Campbell had a son named Henry McKellar Campbell born to them in Wheatley on the 9th of May, 1907. “Mac” died at the Public General Hospital in Chatham, on the 13th of July, 1928 of appendicitis. He was 21 years old. At the time of his death, he was a clerk at the First National Bank in Detroit. He was the only child of Dr. and Mrs. Campbell.
Poor health forced Dr. Campbell to retire in 1913. He resumed a medical practice in Listowel, Ontario during World War I as part of his war effort. After the war ended, Dr. Campbell retired again to his home in Sleepy Hollow, west of Blenheim. He enjoyed gardening. Mrs. Campbell was an accomplished writer.
Dr. Campbell lived in Sleepy Hollow until his death on the 30th of July of 1930.
Dr. Campbell was buried at the Craford Cemetery, Cedar Springs, Ontario. During his lifetime, Dr. Campbell had restored the cemetery, which had become unkempt. Mrs. Campbell died on the 4th of March, 1962 and she was buried beside her husband and their son Mac.