Dr. Harry “Cammy” Alexander Taylor was born on the 23rd of January, 1881 in Glencoe, Ontario. He was the eldest of 2 children born to Harry Campbell Taylor and the former Margaret Stewart Campbell Graham. His father was a carpenter and his sister was Elizabeth “Bessie” Taylor. Bessie married William Wesley Turner and they had a son, William Partridge Turner who also became a doctor physician.
By the time he was 3 years old, Dr. Taylor’s family had moved to Wallaceburg. His father was a garage mechanic.
After completing school in Wallaceburg, Dr. Taylor tried his hand at being a carpenter, according to the 1901 census.
Dr. Taylor attended The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine and he graduated M.B. in 1909. While in university he played football and he was elected as the President of the Athletic Association in his third year. Dr. Taylor interned for 3 years at St Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. He worked in the pathology laboratory of the Ontario Department of Public Health and for a short time where he worked with Dr. George McKeough in Chatham. According to the 1928 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Taylor joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 18th of July, 1911.
Once he established himself in Wallaceburg, he became the Medical Officer of Health for the town and the Chief Coroner for the District.
Dr. Taylor married Maud “Anna” Mickle on the 15th of May, 1912. Mrs. Taylor was born in Chatham Township on the 4th of September, 1880, the daughter of William Dexter Mickle and the former Jane Allen. Her parents were farmers and Mrs. Taylor was a teacher. She had two younger sisters named Ethel May Mickle and Edna Louisa Mickle.
Dr. and Mrs. Taylor had 2 children; Donald Dexter Taylor was born on the 20th of December 1913 and Margaret Taylor was born in 1915.
Mrs. Taylor died on the 17th of February 1932 at the Toronto General Hospital. She was buried at Riverview Cemetery in Wallaceburg.
Dr. Taylor married Elsie Alice (Hopper) Robinson in Tupperville on the 21st of September, 1935. She was the widow of James Robinson and at the time of her marriage to Dr. Taylor she was a merchant in Dover Centre. Mrs. Taylor was born on the 5th of October, 1883 in Chatham Twp, the daughter of George Hopper and Emma Babcock. Mrs. Taylor’s father had been married to Susan Roberts prior to his marriage to Emma Babcock and they had 3 children prior to the untimely death of Susan (Roberts) Hopper. Those children were; James, Emma and John. Susan Hopper died on the 20th of February, 1874 at the age of 24 and she was buried at the Dresden Cemetery. George and Emma (Babcock) Hopper had 3 children; Henrietta “Etta”, Elsie (Mrs. Taylor) and Louis prior to the death of Emma (Babcock) Hopper on the 19th of April, 1887. She was also buried at the Dresden Cemetery.
Mrs. Taylor was married to James A. Robinson in Tupperville on the 15th of June, 1910. They had 2 children; William and John Robinson. Mr. Robinson died in Chatham on the 17th of January, 1928.
Dr. Taylor was a member of the Wallaceburg Rotary Club and the Wallaceburg Lawn Bowling Club. He was a member of the 1903 Wallaceburg Lacrosse Club and for years afterwards he was an ardent supporter of the team. He was a member of the Pnyx Dodge No. 312, A.F. & A.M. and the Kent Shrine Club.
Dr. Taylor died at St Joseph’s Hospital in Chatham on the 16th of April, 1952. He was buried at Riverview Cemetery. Mrs. Elsie (Robinson) Taylor died in Strathroy on the 2nd of January, 1969 at the age of 82. She was buried in the Mausoleum, at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.
(The photo of Dr. Taylor standing in front of the bushes is courtesy of the Wallaceburg Museum)
*Dr. William Partridge Turner and Dr. George Thomas McKeough also appear on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.