Dr. Gilbert Tweedie was born in Dumffrieshire, Scotland on the 12th of January,1828. Dr. Tweedie was the eldest of 5 children born to George Tweedie and the former Janet Graham. His siblings were; George, Jean, James and Janet.
Dr. Tweedie began his studies at the University of Edinburgh, with the intention of training to become a medical missionary, but he immigrated to Canada in 1849 before he completed his studies. He entered Knox College in Toronto and was ordained as a United Presbyterian Minister in 1853. He became the minister of a church in Manilla (Victoria County), Ontario. He resigned in 1855 to branch out to the New Canada Presbyterian Church in Lindsay, Ontario, but a throat affliction forced him to give up his ministry. Dr. Tweedie enrolled at The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine
He married Minerva Ann Martin in 1856. Mrs. Tweedie was born on the 29th of October, 1834 in Thorne Corners, Ontario. She was the 4th of 10 children born to Sanford Martin and the former Fatama Ellsworth. Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Maitland E. Martin, Hiram Bateman Martin, Caleb Ellsworth Martin, Philip Sanford Martin, Sarepta T. Martin, Warner Coleman Martin, Albert F. Martin, Amasa Martin (who died in childhood), Eliza F. Martin and George Frederick Martin.
Dr. Tweedie graduated M.D. from Victoria College in 1860. Dr. Tweedie and his family were listed on the 1861 census in Toronto. He obtained a provincial licence to practice in 1862. According to the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Tweedie joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 15th of June, 1866.
Dr. and Mrs. Tweedie lived in the small communities of Oakland (Victoria County) and Manilla from the mid 1860’s until the mid 1870’s when they likely moved to Dresden, Ontario.
Dr. and Mrs. Tweedie had 10 children; Fatama Janet Tweedie, Margaret Ann Tweedie, George Sanford Tweedie, Gilbert H. Tweedie, Minerva A. Tweedie, Sanford M. Tweedie, Charles Ellsworth Tweedie, Janet Graham Tweedie, Maitland Harold Tweedie (born and died of meningitis in 1874) and Herbert William Tweedie (born and died of cholera in 1880. Baby Herbert was buried at the Dresden Cemetery).
In 1878 Dr. and Mrs. Tweedie were living on Brown Street in Dresden and Dr. Tweedie had his medical office on Main Street. Dr. Tweedie is listed in the 1885 Ontario Business Directory and a 1891 Dresden City Directory.
Dr. and Mrs. Tweedie moved to Toronto in the latter part of 1891. Dr. Tweedie was the Medical Superintendent at the Riverdale Hospital in Toronto. Dr. Tweedie retired in 1908.
The 1911 census records that Dr. and Mrs. Tweedie were living at 53 Langley Ave., in Toronto.
Dr. Tweedie died on the 23rd of August, 1916 at his residence on Langley Avenue in Toronto.
According to the 1921 census, Mrs. Tweedie was living with her son Charles and her daughter Minerva. Mrs. Tweedie died on the 14th of December, 1928 in Toronto. Dr. and Mrs. Tweedie were buried at the Dresden Cemetery.
*Dr. Tweedie’s son Dr. George Sanford Tweedie practiced medicine in Michigan. George’s son, Dr. Sanford Martin Tweedie (1931-1991) served with the United States Army during WWI.
**Mrs. Tweedie’s brother Dr. Caled Ellsworth Martin graduated from Victoria College in Coburg in 1856. He practiced medicine in Toronto.
Tombstone Photo Credit: Anne F.