Dr. George Douglas Lockhart was born in the Village of Sydenham (Frontenac County), Ontario on the 8th of September, 1863. Dr. Lockhart was the 7th of 8 children born to John Lockhart and the former Roseann Clement. His father was a shoemaker in Sydenham and his siblings were; Sarah Lockhart, Maria Lockhart, Samuel Lockhart (died on the 19th of October, 1877 at the age of 23), William Lockhart, a sister with the initial’s C.P. Lockhart did not survive childhood, Thomas James Lockhart and Alfred Lockhart.
Dr. Lockhart entered Queen’s University Medical School in 1886 and graduated in 1890. Dr. Lockhart continued his education in London, England and Vienna. By 1892, Dr. Lockhart was practicing medicine in Florence (Lambton County), Ontario. Florence is in close proximity to Chatham-Kent and Dr. Lockhart cared for patients in Dresden and Camden Township. His office was located on the Main Street in Florence.
Dr. Lockhart married Jennie May Hall on the 25th of April, 1900 at her parents home in Florence. Mrs. Lockhart was born in Florence on the 3rd of May of 1872. She was the 6th of 8 children born to Samuel Hall and the former Patience Scott. Her parents were farmers in Dawn Twp (Lambton County) and her siblings were; Edwin Francis Hall, Alfretta Hall, Mary Elizabeth Hall, Annie Priscilla Hall, William Hall, Jonas Hall and Bertha Hall.
After nearly a decade of looking after patients in Chatham-Kent and Lambton County, Dr. and Mrs. Lockhart moved to King City (York Region), north of Toronto.
Dr. and Mrs. Lockhart became parents to 3 children while living in King City. Alfred Douglas Lockhart was born on the 25th of February, 1901, Randolph Lockhart was born on the 10th of January, 1904 and their daughter Patience Louise Lockhart was born on the 28th of June, 1910.
Dr. Lockhart was the Medical Officer of Health for many years in King Twp. He was a member of the A.F. & A.M. and the I.O.O.F.
In his spare time Dr. Lockhart enjoyed nature and the beautiful gardens that surrounded his home.
Dr. Lockhart died on the 17th of May, 1941 in King City. He worked up until a few days before his death. His obituary appeared in “The Liberal”, published in Richmond Hill on the 22nd of May, 1941, it was written, “Not only did he heal sick bodies, he strengthened weary minds, comforted the cheerless and gave sound advice to those who sought direction.” Mrs. Lockhart died at the Great War Memorial Hospital in Perth, Ontario on the 19th of September, 1955. Dr. and Mrs. Lockhart were buried at the King City Cemetery.
*Dr. Lockhart’s brother Alfred Lockhart also became a physician.