Dr. Garnet George Stonehouse was born on the 23rd of April, 1896 in Wallaceburg. He was the eldest of 3 children born to David Wesley Stonehouse and the former Mary Elizabeth Thompson. His father was a merchant and his siblings were; Ila Fern Stonehouse who was born on the 13th of September, 1897 and Roy Clayton Stonehouse who was born on the 28th of June, 1901.
Dr. Stonehouse’s father died on the 30th of June, 1911 when Dr. Stonehouse was 15 years old. His mother married James Taylor, 4 years later. Dr. Stonehouse’s early education was in Wallaceburg. Prior to going to medical school, he attended St. Andrew’s College and Woodstock College*.
Dr. Stonehouse graduated M.D.,C.M. from Queen’s University in 1918. He joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 2nd of September, 1919.
Dr. Stonehouse enlisted in World War I on the 25th of October, 1917 in Kingston, while he was in medical school. He listed his address on the Officers’ Declaration Paper as 278 University Ave., in Kingston. He continued with his medical training at Queen’s University until his graduation.
Dr. Stonehouse graduated M.D.,C.M. from Queen’s University in 1918. Dr. Stonehouse’s date of attestation was May 1st, 1918. He served as a physician with the No. 3 Army Medical Corp. On his Medical History Sheet, he was described as 5’11” tall, 149 pounds, with a dark complexion, brown eyes and black hair. Dr. Stonehouse’s unit was demobilized and he was discharged on the 18th of June, 1919 with the rank of Lieutenant.
Dr. Stonehouse married Charlotte Elizabeth “Bessie” Stafford in York, Ontario on the 9th of November, 1918. Mrs. Stonehouse was born in Leeds County on the 8th of April, 1900. She was the youngest of 2 children born to William Wilkie Stafford and the former Elizabeth Anne McConnell. Her father was a salesman in Gananoque and her sister’s name was Gertrude Estella Stafford. At the time of their marriage, Dr. Stonehouse resided at 303 University Ave., in Kingston, Ontario and Mrs. Stonehouse, resided at 278 University Ave., in Kingston.
Dr. Stonehouse opened a medical practice in Tupperville in 1919.
Dr. and Mrs. Stonehouse had a son Wesley Stafford Stonehouse born to them on the 3rd of March, 1920 in Chatham. According to the 1921 census, Dr. and Mrs. Stonehouse were living at 198 Duncan Street in Wallaceburg and Dr. Stonehouse had his medical practice in Wallaceburg.
According to the 1930 and 1940 U.S. Census’, Dr. and Mrs. Stonehouse and their son Wesley were residing in Grand Rapids, Michigan where Dr. Stonehouse was a practicing physician.
Dr. Stonehouse enlisted in World War II with the United States Military. At the time of his registration he listed 208 Pioneer Road in Grand Rapids, Michigan, as his residence. His phone number was 88922. According to the 1959 Grand Rapids City Directory, Dr. Stonehouse’s office was located at 26 Sheldon Ave. and he still resided at 208 Pioneer Road.
Dr. Stonehouse died on the 19th of January, 1973 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Mrs. Stonehouse died on November 18th, 1982. Dr. and Mrs. Stonehouse were buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Grand Rapids.
*Woodstock College served as a boys’ predatory school from 1890 until 1926. It was located in Woodstock, Ontario.
**Dr. Stonehouse is also featured on the ‘Gathering Our Heroes’ website.
*** Dr. Stonehouse’s son Wesley also served during WWII with the United States Armed Services.
****His sister Ila Fern Stonehouse married Alex McVean. Alex McVean’s sister was Dr. Sarah Georgiana McVean, who practiced medicine in Dresden and is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.