Dr. Donald Patrick Robertson was born in Milton, Ontario on the 8th of May, 1911. Dr. Robertson was the 5th of 9 children born to Donald Stewart Robertson and the former Catherine Maude Dewar. His father was a successful manufacturer and the Robertson family resided in a large home on Martin Street in Milton. Dr. Robertson’s siblings were; Helen Agnes Robertson, Stewart Robertson, Duncan Robertson, Alexander Robertson, a sister who died at birth, Ernest Edwin Robertson, Catherine Maud Robertson and William Straun Robertson.
Dr. Robertson attended school in Milton before attending medical school at the University of Manitoba. He graduated M.D. in 1938. Dr. Robertson interned at Vancouver General Hospital and the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Ontario.
Dr. Robertson answered his country’s call for duty during WWII. He served from 1940 to 1945 with the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corp. After his discharge Dr. Robertson did post graduate work in London, England. He earned his surgical designation in England (F.R.C.S.), became a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and qualified in General Surgery by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada.
Dr. Robertson married Ena “Paddy” Maud Browne in 1943. She was born in England, on the 18th of October, 1908. Mrs. Robertson, was the eldest of 3 children born to Anthony Montague Browne and the former Maud Alice Mary Chapman. Her father was a furniture upholsterer and her siblings were; Phyllis Lily Browne was born on the 27th of September, 1913 and Anthony Mervyn Browne was born on the 4th of September, 1916. Mrs. Robertson was married to John Arthur Reed Pepper on the 14th of August 1934 in Pimlico, England. On their marriage record, it states that Mrs. Robertson was an actress. They divorced a few years later.
Dr. and Mrs. Robertson returned to Canada and settled in Sarnia, where Dr. Robertson belonged to a group surgical practice from 1947 to 1950.
Dr. and Mrs. Robertson had 3 children; Lynn Robertson, Susan Lorraine Robertson and David Mervyn Robertson.
In 1950, the Robertson family moved to Chatham. Dr. Robertson served as the President of St. Joseph’s Medical Staff. According to the 1956, 1963 and the 1965 Vernon’s City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. Robertson’s office was located at 220-A Wellington Street West. He was a respected surgeon.
In 1966 Dr. and Mrs. Robertson moved to Toronto and Dr. Robertson worked for the Workmen’s Compensation Board.
Dr. Robertson enjoyed golfing, fishing and curling.
Dr. Robertson died on the 26th of February, 1979. Mrs. Robertson died on the 8th of May, 1993 in Toronto. Dr. and Mrs. Robertson were buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Milton, Ontario.
*Mrs. Robertson’s brother, Able Seaman Anthony Mervyn Browne died at sea on the 14th of February, 1942. He was aboard the H.M.S. Scorpion, which was lost in the Banka Strait during WWII. He is remembered at the Chatham Naval Memorial Cemetery in Medway, England.