Dr. Charles Nathaniel Anderson was born on the 14th of January, 1858 in Stephen Twp., Huron County. He was the 3rd of 13 children born to James Anderson and the former Elizabeth Howes. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Robert, Samuel, James, Arthur, Frank, Demascus, Laura, Emma, Henry, John, Frederick and Elizabeth. Dr. Anderson’s family moved to Mersea Twp in Essex County when he was about 15 years of age. Dr. Anderson taught school for 6 years in Tilbury West Township and saved his earnings to pursue a dream to practice medicine.
He graduated M.D.,C.M. from Trinity Medical College in Toronto in 1888 and he opened his practice in Comber (Essex County). According to the 1892 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Anderson joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 8th of May, 1888. Dr. Anderson routinely made the trip to Tilbury in Chatham-Kent to attend to his patients. His name appears on birth and death records in the Town of Tilbury and Tilbury East Twp (Chatham-Kent).
Dr. Anderson married Sarah Elizabeth ‘Libby’ Smith on the 17th of October, 1890 in Comber. Mrs. Anderson was the daughter of Rueben Smith and the former Amanda Buchanan. Her parents were married in Michigan and they had 3 children in Michigan; Mary, a son named Larue and a daughter named Emma. The Buchanan family moved to Canada in 1863 and farmed in Sandwich West Twp, Essex County. Sarah Elizabeth ‘Libby’ Buchanan was born in June of 1865. Her mother died when she was a young child and her father married Mary Anne Hurst on the 22nd of August, 1870 in Sandwich Twp. Mary Anne was the daughter of Lindsay and the former Catherine Little. Mary Anne Hurst was the widow of Robert Hurst, and she brought 3 children to the marriage, Eliza and 2 sons; Lindsay and Robert. Together Rueben and Mary Anne Smith had at least 6 more children known to be George, William, Herbert, David, Harriett and Daniel.
Dr. and Mrs. Anderson had 5 children; Clarence, Merle, Helen (who died of meningitis in 1897 at the age of 1 year old), Howard and Edith. Dr. Anderson served on the Public School Board and he also served as the Medical Officer of Health for Comber. In 1902, Dr. Anderson moved his family and his medical practice to Leamington (Essex County).
Dr. Anderson was elected to represent Essex County South in the Ontario legislature from 1908 until 1914.
Dr. Anderson retired from practicing medicine prior to 1921. According to the 1921 census, Dr and Mrs. Anderson were residing in Windsor at 137 Sunset Ave and his occupation was listed as ‘sheriff’.
Dr. Anderson died on the 8th of June, 1939 in Windsor (Essex County). Mrs. Anderson died at Grace Hospital in Windsor on the 27th of November, 1949. At the time of her death, Mrs. Anderson’s home was located at 355 Sunset Ave., in Windsor. Dr. and Mrs. Anderson were buried at Saint John’s Anglican Church Cemetery in Windsor.
*Dr. Anderson’s son, Clarence Burton Anderson served with the Canadian Military during WWI and WWII.