Dr. Charles Leon Houghton was born on the 26th of May, 1885 in Oxford County. His parents, Stephen Houghton and the former Mary Ann Langford were farmers at the time of his birth. He was the 4th of 8 children. His siblings were; Fanny, Lucy, Mary, Alice, Edith, Stephen (who died in infancy) and Ernest. His father was listed as a stone mason in Oxford County on the 1891 census.
Dr. Houghton graduated M.D. from the University of Western Ontario in 1919. He set up his medical practice in Wyoming, (Lambton County) Ontario.
Dr. Houghton married Margaret Dale Evans on the 8th of October, 1924 in Petrolia, Ontario. Mrs. Houghton was born on the 3rd of September, 1904 in Lambton County, the eldest daughter of James Evans and the former Minnie Kirk. She had an older brother named James and a younger sister named Donnabella and her father was a blacksmith. Mrs. Houghton was only 6 years old when her mother died of tuberculosis on the 31st of March, 1910. Mrs. Houghton was a nurse.
Dr. and Mrs. Houghton moved to Florence, (Lambton County) Ontario around 1927. He purchased the home and office of Dr. William Albert Kelly who had moved to London the previous year. Due to the close proximity to Chatham-Kent, Dr. Houghton’s name appears on numerous birth and death records in Thamesville, Camden and Zone Township.
Dr. and Mrs. Houghton had 7 children; Marydale, Earla, Janet, Donna, June, Charles and Margaret.
Dr. and Mrs. Houghton moved their family to Toronto in 1932. Around 1936 they moved to Markham.
Dr. Houghton died at the Toronto East General Hospital on the 2nd of April, 1958. Mrs. Houghton died on the 11th of March, 1998. Dr. and Mrs. Houghton were buried at Highland Memory Gardens in Willowdale, Ontario.
*Dr. William Albert Kelly also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.