Charles Allan Stewart 
Location served:
Years in Practice:
1935 to 1995
Area of Specialization:


Dr. Charles Allan Stewart was born in Harwich Township (Chatham-Kent), Ontario on the 24th August, 1906.  Dr. Stewart was the 2nd of 4 children born to William Allan Stewart and the former Harriett “Hattie” Atkin.  His parents were farmers near Erieau and his siblings were; Harriett Jean Stewart, Reginald Glen Stewart and Douglas Stewart.

Dr. Stewart attended S.S. #15 Harwich Township, which was a one room schoolhouse.  He went on to attend Chatham Collegiate Institute and the Chatham Business College. He was an accomplished athlete in high school.

Dr. Stewart graduated M.D. from the University of Western Ontario in 1933. While at university he managed the rugby team that won the Intermediate College Championship in 1931.  He interned at Victoria Hospital in London, Ontario from 1933-35 completing a surgical internship.

Dr. Stewart married Eleanor Alice McDonald on the 14th of June, 1933 in Harwich Township. Mrs. Stewart was born on the 5th of June in 1907.  She was the 4th of 5 children born to James McDonald and the former Eleanor Haylock.  Her family resided at Lot 8, Concession 6 in Harwich Township.   Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Doris Jean McDonald, Helen Beatrice McDonald, Donald James McDonald and Murray Haylock McDonald.  Mrs. Stewart was a teacher.

Dr. and Mrs. Stewart had 4 children; Janet, Harriet, Bill and Allan who were all born in Chatham.

Dr. Stewart joined the medical practice of Dr. John Samuel Agar and settled his family in Chatham in August of 1935.  Dr. and Mrs. Stewart resided at 206 Victoria Avenue.  According to the 1941 Shepherds City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. Stewart’s office was located at 247 King Street.  He took specialist training in anesthesia at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal for two summers. He practiced medicine in Chatham until August of 1942.

With World War II raging in Europe, Dr. Stewart enlisted in the R.C.A.M.C. and went overseas in December of 1942.  He was assigned to the No.10 C.G.H. in England through the Normandy Campaign. He was moved to the No. 1 Canadian Mobile Neuro-Surgical Unit located in France in October of 1944 and he worked as an anesthetist.  Dr. Stewart was promoted to the rank of Major in January of 1945.  He was transferred to the Canadian Army Medical Hospital in Taplo, England.  Dr. Stewart completed his service and returned to Chatham in October of 1945.

Dr. Stewart moved to London, Ontario in 1952.  He enjoyed the outdoors and in particular fly fishing for salmon.  The Stewart family resided at 144 Sherwood Avenue in London.

Dr. Stewart died on the 25th of November, 1995.  Mrs. Stewart died in 2002.

*Dr. Stewart is also featured on the ‘Gathering Our Heroes’ website.

**Dr. John Samuel Agar also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.