Dr. Andrew Embury Williamson was born on the 4th of December, 1904 in Peterborough, Ontario. He was the son of George Hacon Williamson and Annie Blanche Patterson. At the time of his birth, the Williamson family resided at 211 London Street. Dr. Williamson’s father’s occupation was listed as the secretary of the local YMCA. His father was first appointed as the Fort William (now known as Thunder Bay), Ontario YMCA secretary. In 1901 Mr. Williamson was lodging as a single person and working as the Secretary of the YMCA in Peterborough. Dr. Williamson’s mother died in Peterborough on the 8th of August 1909 when he was just 4 years old.
Dr. Williamson and his father moved to Brantford where he attended public school and graduated from Brantford Collegiate Institute. Dr. Williamson worked at the Woolworth store in Brantford and rose to the position of Assistant Manager.
Dr. Williamson fulfilled a lifelong dream to become a doctor when he was accepted at the University of Western Ontario. He graduated M.D. in 1934.
During the summer of 1935, Dr. Willliamson was known to be practicing medicine in Ridgetown. In the later part of 1935, Dr. Williamson was practicing medicine in Brantford.
Dr. Williamson married Frances Isobel Mitchell on the 16th of June, 1936 in Brantford. Mrs. Williamson was born on the 2nd of May, 1900 in Brantford. She was the youngest of 6 children born to Walter Mitchell and the former Annie Lindley. Her father was a brick layer in the construction industry and her siblings were; Alberta Maud Mitchell, George Lindley Mitchell, Mary “Evelyn” Mitchell, Grace Winnifred Mitchell and Helen Harriett Mitchell. At the time of their marriage, Mrs. Williamson’s occupation was listed as stenographer.
Dr. Williamson practiced medicine in Brantford until May of 1939, when Dr. and Mrs. Williamson moved to Port Dover, Ontario, where he would remain for the rest of his medical career.
Dr. and Mrs. Williamson had one son, David.
Dr. Williamson was a respected member of the Scott Lodge in the Masonic Order. He also enjoyed music and reading especially the classics. Dr. Williamson also enjoyed playing the organ.
Mrs. Williamson died on the 24th of February, 1956 in Port Dover. She was buried at the Port Dover Cemetery.
Dr. Williamson married Florence “Jean” (Rea) Smallacombe in 1958. Mrs. Williamson was born on the 3rd of September, 1914 in Calgary, Alberta. She was the only child of Arnold Rea and the former Hilda May McFarlane. Her father was a dentist who died on the 25th of November, 1919, when she was only 5 years old. Mrs. Williamson graduated from the University of Manitoba with a B.A. She was married to Thomas “Gordon” Smallacombe on the 27th of December, 1938 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. They had 4 children and raised them in Mississauga, Ontario. After the death of her husband she married Dr. Williamson.
Dr. Williamson died on the 19th of April, 1960 in Detroit, Michigan. Dr. and Mrs. Williamson had travelled to Detroit to tour the laboratories of the Parke-Davis Co. When they returned to the Sheraton-Cadillac Hotel, Dr. Williamson collapsed and died. Out of respect for their beloved town physician the Town of Port Dover closed their businesses on the afternoon of Dr. Williamson’s funeral. He was buried at the Port Dover Cemetery next to his first wife, Frances.
After the death of her husband, Mrs. Jean Williamson was married to Arthur Crosbie. She died on the 5th of May, 2000 in Calgary, Alberta. She was buried next to her first husband in St Catharines, Ontario.
**Mrs. Frances Williamson’s brother George Lindley Mitchell served with the United States Armed Services during WWII.
Tombstone Photo Credit: Anne F.