Dr. Alexander Turner was born in Southwold Township on the 10th of May, 1871. He was the 7th of 8 children born to Archibald Turner and the former Mary McVicar. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Peter, Mary, Archibald, Duncan, Isabella, John and Dugal. He attended a Southwold Twp “one room school house” for his primary education, then he attended high school in St Thomas and Glencoe.
He taught school for 3 years near Dutton (Elgin County) and he helped his parents on the farm. Dr. Turner then moved to a school in Wallacetown (Elgin County) where he was the principal for 3 years. Dr. Turner pursued studies in medicine and he graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1901. He set up his medical practice in Wallaceburg.
Dr. Turner married Margaret Anne Campbell on the 2nd of November, 1904 in Southwold Twp., Elgin County. She was born in Lawrence Station (Elgin County) on the 25th of May, 1869, the youngest of 6 children born to Peter Campbell and the former Catherine McLean. Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Archibald Peter Campbell, Malcolm P. Campbell, Catherine Campbell, Isabella Campbell and John Alexander Campbell.
Dr. and Mrs. Turner had two children born to them in Wallaceburg. Margaret Campbell Turner was born on the 8th of December, 1905 and Archibald Melvin Turner was born on the 20th of June, 1907.
Dr. Turner was selected as Master of the Pnyx Masonic Lodge in 1908. In 1909 he was a member of Wallaceburg Town Council.
Around 1910 Dr. and Mrs. Turner moved their family to St Thomas. In January of 1913, Dr. Turner was elected as a School Board Trustee.
On the 13th of May, 1916 in London, Ontario Dr. Turner enlisted in the First World War. He recorded his address as 646 Talbot St, in St Thomas. Dr. Turner was described on his medical history sheet as being 5’9″ tall and he weighed 195 lbs. Dr. Turner was a Captain with the Royal Army Medical Corp and he served overseas in England and in France. He was discharged on the 15th of December,1918.
Dr. Turner died on the 24th of February, 1929 at his residence, 24 Hincks Street in St Thomas (see photo of home below). He was laid to rest in the Mausoleum at the St Thomas Cemetery.
After the death of her husband Mrs. Turner moved to 278 Grosvenor Street in London. She died at her residence on Grosvenor Street on the 1st of March, 1936 and she was laid to rest next to her husband in St Thomas.
*His daughter, Margaret Turner also became a medical doctor. She graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1931. While at medical school, she met her future husband, Dr. Cyril Frances Sullivan of London.
**The webmaster wishes to thank the Turner Family for supplying photo’s and information.
Dr. Margaret Turner. Residence