Dr. Alexander Johnson Stevenson was born in Brockville, Ontario on the 4th of January, 1865. He was the eldest of 4 children born to Rev. Robert Stevenson and the former Mary MacKay. His father was born in Scotland and his mother was born in England. His father was a Presbyterian Minister and his siblings were; Margaret “Harriett” Ann Stevenson (born 01 January, 1868), Orlando John Stevenson (born in Wardsville, Ontario on the 14th of June, 1869) and Robert MacKay Stevenson (born in Minden, Ontario on the 16th of March, 1882).
Dr. Stevenson attended Trinity College in Toronto and he graduated in 1887. Dr. Stevenson was practicing in the City of London in 1891 and he was living with his parents and siblings.
In 1892 Dr. Stevenson was practicing medicine and residing in Morpeth. By 1901 Dr. Stevenson had moved to Ridgetown and his parents, his sister Harriett and his brother Robert lived with him. Dr. Stevenson’s name appears on birth and death records in the Town of Ridgetown and Howard and Harwich Townships (Chatham-Kent), as late as 1905.
Dr. Stevenson died on the 29th of September, 1907 in Kingsville, (Essex County) Ontario. At the time of his death he lived on Main Street in Kingsville. Dr. Stevenson was buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Ridgetown. His parents and his sister Margaret Ann (Stephenson) Gesner were also buried at Ridgetown.
*Dr Stevenson’s brother Orlando “John” Stevenson was an esteemed academic who became the head of the English Department at the Ontario Agricultural Department. He wrote a poem entitled “A Country Doctor” as a tribute to his brother, Dr. Alexander J. Stevenson. (See below)
**The webmaster acknowledges the assistance of Mrs. Jean Pardo.