Dr. Alexander Charles Henderson was born on the 29th of July, 1909 in Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England. He was the 2nd of 3 children born to McAlpine Cameron Henderson and the former Kate Thompson. His father was a builder and his siblings were; Catherine Henderson and Cameron Arthur Henderson. In 1911, Dr. Henderson’s family immigrated to Canada. He was educated at Bedford Park Public School and North Toronto Collegiate Institute.
Dr. Henderson furthered his education at the Toronto Bible College. Dr. Henderson attended The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine and graduated M.D. and L.M.C.C. in 1940. Dr. Henderson interned at Grey Nun’s Hospital in Regina, Saskatchewan from 1940-1941. It was during this time that Dr. Henderson, met his future bride, Muriel “Blanche” Glen. She was born in Saskatchewan on the 23rd of June 1914. She was the 3rd of 4 children born to Andrew Glen and the former Mary Belle Simpson. Her parents were farmers near Briercrest (Saskatchewan) and her siblings were; Douglas Simpson Glen, Reginald Stuart Glen and Marion Enid Glen.
After completing his internship, Dr. Henderson practiced locum tenens in Saskatchewan. He married Blanche on January 3rd, 1942 and shortly thereafter they travelled to Muie, Angola as part of the South African General Mission. Their first child, Kathleen Muriel Henderson was born in Muie, Angola. Their son, Glen Cameron Henderson was born in Rusitu, Southern Rhodesia and their third child, Norman Grant Henderson was born in Winnipeg. Dr. Henderson and his family served many terms in Africa at various times throughout his career.
In 1953, Dr. Henderson, was Assistant Resident in Surgery at Sick Kid’s Hospital in Toronto. After completing his residency in 1954, Dr. Henderson joined Dr. William Frederick Glen’s practice in Chatham. Dr. Glen was Mrs. Henderson’s uncle. Dr. Henderson branched out on his own in 1957 until 1964. While in Chatham, Dr. Henderson was a member of the Kent County Medical Society and he served as President in 1963. He was a member of the Chatham Baptist Church. He taught Sunday School and he was a Deacon in the church. He was the “Camp Doctor” at the Ontario Pioneer Camp in Muskoka during the summers of 1956 through1959.
Dr. Henderson’s hobbies included home repairs and car mechanics.
In 1964 he served as a Missionary in a medical capacity in Zambia until June of 1966.
Dr. Henderson died on the 27th of July, 1999. Mrs. Henderson died on the 22nd of January, 2008. Dr. and Mrs. Henderson were buried at Park Lawn Cemetery in Toronto.
*Dr. William Frederick Glen is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.