Dr. Jonathan McCully was born November 30th, 1834 in Howard Township. He was the eldest son of Samuel McCully and the former Sarah Bennett. Both Samuel and Sarah McCully were from Nova Scotia. The year before Dr. McCully was born, Samuel and Sarah moved from Nova Scotia and lived briefly in Rushton’s Corners in Kent County before moving to a homestead in Howard Township. In 1835, Mr. McCully walked 75 miles in one day to Sandwich to record his deed of 100 acres in Howard Township to avoid a land dispute. Dr. McCully had 2 younger brothers named Matthew and Samuel and 2 younger sisters named Hannah and Margaret.
Dr. McCully remained on the homestead until he was 30 years old. By this time, his brother Samuel had graduated from medicine at Victoria College in Toronto. Dr. Jonathan McCully began his medical studies at Victoria College in Toronto in 1864 and later attended Dr. Rolph’s College of Medicine. He graduated M.D. from Victoria College in 1866. Upon graduation, he started his medical practice in Cedar Springs.
In his personal life, Dr. McCully married Elizabeth Mills in November of 1868 in Palmyra, Ontario. Mrs. McCully was born in 1836, the daughter of Nathaniel Mills and the former Mary Guggerty and her parents were farmers. She had an older sister named Mary and 2 brothers, the Honourable David Mills who served in Canadian politics and was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada and another brother named Daniel.
Dr. and Mrs. McCully had two children. Their son, Samuel Bennett McCully was born in Kent County on the 10th of September, 1869. He graduated from the University of Toronto and he practiced law in Toronto. Their daughter Mary Jane (McCully) Hendrie, was born in Cedar Springs in October of 1872 and she became a school teacher.
Mrs. Elizabeth (Mills) McCully died in September of 1875 and she was buried at the Newcomb Cemetery in Harwich Twp.
According to the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. McCully joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 7th of May, 1870. He was listed in the 1885 Ontario Business Directory as practicing in Buckhorn (near Cedar Springs) and he is listed in the 1900 Ontario Business Directory as practicing medicine in Cedar Springs. Dr. McCully’s medical practice (in Cedar Springs) is recorded in the 1891, 1897 and the 1900 Farmers and Business Directory for the Counties of Elgin, Essex, Kent and Lambton Counties. In 1872, he purchased 50 acres in Cedar Springs and specialized in growing fruit. He continued to practice medicine, but acquired more land in 1902, increasing his farm to 118 acres. He had 50 acres devoted to fruit and became recognized as an expert in that field. His son shared his father’s love of farming and they formed the business, Dr. McCully and Son.
Dr. McCully had an active political life in addition to his medical practice and his farm. He served on Harwich Township Council for many years, before being selected as third deputy reeve of Harwich in 1885 and he was Reeve from 1894-1895. Dr. McCully was the Medical Health Officer of Rondeau.
On the 22nd of June 1892, Dr. McCully married Annie Campbell, of Harwich Township. Mrs. Annie McCully was born in Harwich Twp., on the 4th of November, 1847. Her parents, Douglas and Mary Campbell were farmers. She was known to have 3 siblings, Malcolm, Douglas and Catherine.
Dr. McCully died on the 22nd of December, 1925. He had retired from medicine prior to his 86th birthday in 1920. He was buried at the Newcomb Cemetery, Harwich Township. His beloved farm was left to his son. Mrs. Annie McCully died in Harwich Twp., on the 21st of January, 1928 and she was also buried at the Newcomb Cemetery.
*His brother Dr. Samuel Edward McCully is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.