Dr. John Stanley Ferguson was born on the 7th of January, 1897 in Harwich Township, Chatham-Kent. He was the 9th of 11 children born to William Ferguson and the former Jennie McNaughton. His parents were farmers and his siblings were; Jennie, William, Dougal, Margaret, Archibald, Edith, Jessie, Robert, Duncan and Alexander. His father died of blood poisoning on the 6th of October, 1900 at St Joseph’s Hospital in Chatham. Dr. Ferguson was only 3 years old at the time. Dr. Ferguson attended S.S. #9, Harwich Twp, a one room school house, before attending Chatham Collegiate Institute for High School.
Dr. Ferguson attended The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine but World War I interrupted his studies. He enlisted in Toronto in the Royal Canadian Navy on the 5th of August, 1918. His address at the time was 320 Huron St. in Toronto. On his Medical History Sheet he was listed as 5′ 6.5″ tall, 119 pounds, with brown hair and grey eyes.
After his service to his country, he completed his medical training and graduated M.B. in 1921. The 1928 Ontario Medical Register records that Dr. Ferguson joined the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 30th of June, 1921. Dr. Ferguson practiced in Strasburg, Saskatchewan for 3 years, before returning to Chatham-Kent. He joined the practice of Dr. James Warren Rutherford in Chatham. They remained partners until Dr. Rutherford’s death in 1939. In the 1960’s Dr. Ferguson’s office was located at 47 King St., West in Chatham. According to the 1941 Shepherds City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. Ferguson’s office phone number was 39.
Dr. Ferguson married Audrey “Grace” Parsons on the 9th of January 1933, in Hamilton. Mrs. Ferguson was born on the 19th of December, 1905 in Somerset, England. Her parents were Walter Parsons and the former Rachel Hurst. Mrs. Ferguson had an older brother named Leonard and an older sister named Marjorie. The Parsons family immigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1911, where her father was a merchant. By 1916, Walter and Rachel Parsons and their children lived in Pilot Mound, Manitoba. At the time of their marriage, Mrs. Ferguson was a teacher at Hamilton Collegiate Institute.
After their marriage, Dr. and Mrs. Ferguson moved to a home located at 522 King Street West in Chatham. Dr. and Mrs. Ferguson became the parents to 3 children; Elizabeth who died in childhood, John Duncan Ferguson and Sheila Jean Ferguson.
Dr. Ferguson was President of the Kent County Medical Society in 1940. He was a member of the Chatham Kinsmen Club, the Wellington Lodge, A.F. & A.M. and the Scottish Rite. In his spare time, Dr. Ferguson enjoyed hunting, fishing and raising standard bred horses.
Dr. Ferguson retired in 1970. He died on the 23rd of January, 1988. Mrs. Ferguson died on the 1st of August, 1996. They were interred at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.
*Dr. Ferguson is also featured on the Gathering Our Heroes website.
**Dr. James Warren Rutherford is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.