Dr. John E. McTaggart was born on the 19th of May, 1839 near Palmyra in Howard Township, Ontario. His parents Daniel McTaggart and the former Mary Stewart, were both born in Scotland. Dr. McTaggart was the eldest of 4 children. His siblings were David, Isadora and Mary “Minnie”.
Dr. McTaggart began studying medicine in a doctor’s office in Ridgetown.
Dr. McTaggart married Margaret McBride in London, Ontario on the 6th of October 1870. She was born on the 20th of February, 1848. Her parents were John and Euphema “Phoebe” McBride. At the time of his marriage he was a medical student at the University of New York in Buffalo and the couple resided in Buffalo, New York. Upon graduation in 1871, Dr. McTaggart started practicing medicine in Marine City, Michigan before moving to Palmyra, Ontario.
In 1881, Dr. McTaggart owned 100 acres on Concession 3 (Lot 3) in Orford Twp and he was practicing medicine in Palmyra, Ontario.
By 1910, Dr. and Mrs. McTaggart were living at 258 Helen Ave., in Detroit, Michigan. Mrs. McTaggart died on the 20th of November, 1911 in Detroit. Dr. McTaggart died on the 10th of May, 1915 in Detroit. They were buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Ridgetown, Ontario. They had no children.