Name:
John Bryce McMurrich 
Location served:
Bothwell  
Years in Practice:
1896 to 1925
Area of Specialization:
Family Physician and Surgeon  

Biography:

Dr. John Bryce McMurrich was born on the 1st of May, 1871.  He was the eldest of 8 children born to George Playfair McMurrich and the former Minnie Drummond.  At the time of his birth, his parents resided at 106 John Street in Toronto, Ontario and his father was a merchant.  His siblings were; George, Helen, Arthur, Percy, Minnie, Jessie and Gladys.  He received his primary education in Toronto and graduated M.D.,C.M. from Trinity Medical College in Toronto in 1896.

Dr. McMurrich was listed in the Kent County Business Directory, published in 1900, as practicing in Bothwell.  His name appears on numerous birth and death records from 1899 through 1902.

Dr. McMurrich married Beatrice Worts Myles in Toronto on the 9th of January, 1907.  She was born on the 1st of December, 1879, the 2nd of 4 children born to Robert Myles and the former Margaret Elizabeth Worts.  At the time of her birth, her father was a bookkeeper and her parents resided at 539 Church Street.  Her siblings were Percy, Adeline and Gordon. In 1891 the Myles family resided in the St Patrick’s Ward of Toronto and they employed a cook and 3 “housemaids”.

Dr. and Mrs. McMurrich had one daughter, Margaret Drummond McMurrich who was born on the 23rd of March, 1908.  At the time of her birth the McMurrich family were residing at 130 Delaware Ave., in Toronto, Ontario.

Dr. McMurrich enlisted in the Canadian Army Medical Corp, during World War I, on the 2nd of April, 1916 with the rank of Captain.  On his attestation Dr. McMurrich was listed as 5’9″, with a fair complexion , brown hair and blue eyes.  Dr. McMurrich served in England and in France.  While in England, he was diagnosed with diabetes.  Dr. McMurrich was struck off strength on the 18th of May, 1920 due to general demobilization.

According to the 1921 census, Dr. and Mrs. McMurrich and their daughter Margaret were residing at MacDonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec.  MacDonald Campus opened in 1907 and is part of McGill University.  Dr. McMurrich was a professor at the college, but his occupation is listed as “Doctor” on the census.

On a return trip from Liverpool, England to New York, on the 11th of January, 1924, Dr. McMurrich was listed as a surgeon.

Dr. McMurrich died in Jarrow, London, England on the 28th of December, 1925.  Although his death occurred 7 years after the official conclusion of WWI, his death was attributed to “heart failure and diabetes” related to his service during the war.

At the time of Dr. McMurrich’s death, his wife resided at 131 Imperial St. in Toronto and she lived there until her death.  Mrs. McMurrich died on the 19th of September, 1965.  They are buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto.