Dr. James Hay Sivewright was born in Scotland around 1810. There is a record of a sister named Mary and another sister named Elizabeth Sivewright who lived in Boston, Massachusettes.
Dr. Sivewright’s wife the former Elizabeth “Margaret” Phillips was also born in Scotland in 1817.
It is not known when Dr. Sivewright and his family emigrated, but their daughter Mary Elizabeth “Louisa” Sivewright was born in Moncton, New Brunswick in 1848.
Dr. Sivewright attended the Cleveland Medical College graduating in 1853 and the Sivewright family moved to Chatham-Kent. Dr. Sivewright practiced medicine in Kent Bridge and Thamesville before settling in Chatham in 1854.
Dr. and Mrs. Sivewright had 4 children; Mary, James, John and Elinor. Both of his sons also became doctors.
Dr. Sivewright was listed in the 1864-1865 Kent County Directory and Gazetteer. The Gazetteer, listed his office on Wellington Street. Hismedical practice was also listed in the 1869 Ontario Gazetteers and Directory, 1870-1871 Sutherlands Kent and Essex Counties Business Directory and Gazetteer and the 1877 Chatham Directory. Dr. Sivewright was appointed as a Coroner for Kent County on the 14th of March, 1872.
Dr. James H. Sivewright died on the 5th of August, 1878. His sons inherited property and articles related to his medical practice. He left his wife and daughters cared for, through income properties that were spread throughout Chatham-Kent. The doctor and his family resided on King Street East in Chatham. His office was located at the intersection of Harvey St. and Wellington Street.
Mrs. Margaret Sivewright died on the 12th of April, 1880 at 33 King Street East in Chatham, which was the home of her son, Dr. John P. Sivewright. Dr. and Mrs. James Hay Sivewright are buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.
**His sons, Dr. John Phillips Sivewright and Dr. James Alexander Sivewright are also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute.