Dr. George Harold ‘Ross’ Hamilton was born March 3, 1889 in Chesterville, (Dundas Co.) Ontario. His parents were George H. Hamilton and the former Lundie Parker. He had a younger brother named Andrew and a younger sister named Lillie. He was schooled in Chesterville until he was 14 years old. His parents moved to Guelph and he graduated high school from Guelph Collegiate Institute.
Dr. Hamilton attended The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine and graduated in 1910 when he was 21 years old. Dr. Hamilton interned at St Mary’s Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. After completing his internship, he practiced medicine in Athens, Ontario.
On the 30th of June 1915 Dr. Hamilton married Anne Windsor in York Co., Ontario. She was born in Stouffville, Ontario on the 21st of January 1886, the daughter of Robert Windsor and the former Annie Pouche. She was the youngest of 6 children and her siblings were; Daniel, Lucy, John, Elizabeth and Pleasant. Mrs. Hamilton was a high school teacher. Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton were the parents of a daughter, Jean (Hamilton) Scott. The same year that he was married, Dr. Hamilton continued his medical studies in Edinburgh, Scotland and he received his Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons (F.R.C.S.) in 1917.
Dr. Hamilton joined the French Medical Service as a Major during World War I. The long hours and heavy workload, took its toll and his health suffered. He returned to Canada to convalesce and he worked in Ottawa for the Pension Board.
After the war ended, Dr. Hamilton practiced in Petrolia (Lambton County), Ontario for 12 years. He took a little more than a year off to study in Paris, London and Vienna and when he returned to Canada he set up a medical practice in Chatham. In 1934 Dr. Hamilton’s office was located at 57 Sixth Street in Chatham.
In 1940, Dr. Hamilton was the Chairman of the medical staff of Public General Hospital. He served as the President of the Kent County Medical Society in 1942. According to the 1941 Shepherds City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. Hamilton’s office was located at 39 Sixth Street. Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton resided at 294 Victoria Ave. Towards the end of his career, he held the position of Examiner in Surgery for the University of Western Ontario. He was a member of the Macaulay Club, the Royal Canadian Legion, the Kiwanis Club and a member of the Masonic Lodge. His hobbies included fishing and boating. He was named a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons.
Dr. Hamilton died on the 10th of February, 1951 at the Public General Hospital in Chatham. At the time of his death, he resided at 294 Victoria Ave. in Chatham. His wife Anne died on the 29th of October, 1977 at the Public General Hospital in Chatham. Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton are buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.