Name:
Garner Scullard 
Location served:
Chatham  
Years in Practice:
1916 to Died 1987
Area of Specialization:
Pathology  

Biography:

Dr. Garner Scullard was born in Chatham, Ontario on the 15th of March, 1894.  His father Thomas Scullard was a lawyer and his mother was the former Agnes Kerr.  He had an older brother named Frederick Balfour Scullard born on the 5th of June, 1891 and a younger brother named Harold John Scullard who died of pneumonia when he was 2 years old.  The Scullard family lived on Thames Street in Chatham.  Dr. Scullard graduated from Chatham Collegiate Institute in 1911.  After graduating from high school he entered The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine.

Before he graduated from medical school, he enlisted in WW I in February of 1915 in Toronto, Ontario.  He stated on his Attestation Papers that he was a medical student.  He served with the No. 2 Casualty Clearing Station.  Dr. Scullard saw service in Amarah, Iraq.  After his service in WWI, Dr. Scullard returned to Toronto, to complete his medical studies.  Dr. Scullard graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1916.

After the war, Dr. Scullard completed a post-graduate course then he began practicing medicine in Chatham around 1920.  Dr. Scullard advertised his medical practice in the 1922-1923 Vernon City of Chatham Business Directory.  His office was located at 40 Fifth Street.

Dr. Scullard married his wife Mildred (she was born on the 31st of January 1907 in Wisconsin) and by 1931, Dr. and Mrs. Scullard were living in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.   Dr. Scullard was listed in the 1935 and the 1937 Eau Claire, Wisconsin City Directory as a pathologist at Luther Hospital in Eau Claire. According to the 1940 U.S. Census, Dr. and Mrs. Scullard were living in Watertown, New York, with their 3 sons, Thomas F. who was 6, Richard who was 4 and Michael who was 8 months old.  Dr. Scullard was a pathologist at the House of the Good Samaritan and Mercy Hospital.

Dr. Scullard completed a draft registration card during WWII.  When he enlisted, he was still working at the Good Samaritan Hospital in Watertown, N.Y., and resided at 277 Thompson Blvd.  By 1951 he was the Director of the Montgomery County Laboratory in Amsterdam, New York.

Dr. Scullard died on the 1st of January, 1987.  Mrs. Scullard died on the 25th of November, 1991 in New York.

*Dr. Scullard and his brother Frederick are featured on the ‘Gathering Our Heroes’ website.