Dr. Donald Lane Oestreicher was born to Aaron Edward Oestreicher and the former Flora Lane near Dashwood, Ontario, on the 29th of April, 1920. He was raised on a farm, and attended Exeter High School. He had a younger sister named Eunice.
Dr. Oestreicher enrolled in medical school at the University of Western Ontario, and graduated M.D. in 1943. While he was attending the University of Western Ontario he played in the university band. Four years later Dr. Oestreicher obtained a master’s degree in pathological chemistry.
To further his education, Dr. Oestreicher completed five years of post-graduate training in internal medicine at Victoria Hospital, and Westminster Hospital, both in London. In 1950, he became certified as a specialist in internal medicine by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. In 1957, he received a Fellowship in the American College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Dr. Oestreicher moved to Chatham in 1951. He was the first physician to establish an internal medicine consulting practice in the city. He designed the coronary care unit at the Public General Hospital, thereby introducing electrocardiogram use and interpretation to Chatham. He also educated nurses on how to analyze the electrocardiogram test results. Dr. Oestreicher served as the Chief of Medicine at the Public General Hospital for thirty-five years. He retired in February, 1989.
When not practicing medicine, he enjoyed playing the organ, and golfing. He was married to Mary Elizabeth (Murray), and they had three daughters: Elizabeth, Dawn, and Janice.
Dr. Oestreicher passed away on February 26, 2002. He was buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.
*His sister, Dr. Eunice Eleanor (Oestreicher) McKishnie graduated M.D. from the University of Western Ontario in 1949. She practiced medicine in Elgin County with her husband Dr. John McKishnie.