Dr. David Bechard was born on the 26th of November, 1858 in Pain Court, Dover Township, (Kent County) Ontario. His parents Calixte and Marie were farmers. His siblings were Jean, Julienne, Theodore, Calixte, Jacob, Marcis, Mily and Joseph.
After Dr. Bechard completed medical school he was practicing in Kent County. He is listed as a seasonal clerk in the 1881 census of Dover Twp. It is presumed that he was away at school otherwise, returning to work in the fields in the summer months.
Dr. Bechard married Eugenie “Delina” Desjardins on the 24th of January, 1888 in Stoney Point. At the time of his marriage, he listed Pain Court as his residence. Mrs. Bechard was born in Tilbury West Twp (Essex County) on the 3rd of February 1871, the daughter of Henry Desjardins and the former Caroline Saucier. Mrs. Bechard’s father was a dry goods merchant and the Post Master in Stoney Point (Essex County). Mrs. Bechard had a younger brother named Edward.
Dr. Bechard moved his medical practice to Belle River, (Essex County) Ontario after his marriage. Dr. and Mrs. Bechard had 2 children, David H. Real Bechard (born January 29th, 1889) and Marie Elise Bechard (born February 10th, 1892). The 1900 edition of The Ontario Farmers Directory, lists Dr. Bechard as practicing in McGregor, Essex County.
In 1901, Dr. Bechard, opened a new medical practice on King Street in Chatham. According to the census of that year, Dr. and Mrs. Bechard and their two children were living at a hotel in Chatham, operated by his brother Calixte Bechard.
Dr. Bechard, died on the 22nd of July, 1909 in Windsor, Ontario. His son David was married in Chatham just a few months after his father’s death (27 November, 1909).
Mrs. Bechard moved to Detroit, Michigan after her husbands death. She is listed in the 1911 Detroit City Directory as living at 162 Adams Ave., E. In the 1913 Detroit Michigan Directory she is living at 2364 Jeff Ave. In 1916 she immigrated back to Canada and according to the 1921 census, she was living at 211 McDougall Street in Windsor with her daughter Elise (McKinley).
Mrs. Bechard died in Windsor on the 31st of August, 1941. Dr. and Mrs. Bechard are buried at Saint Alphonsus Roman Catholic Cemetery in Windsor.
*The webmaster is grateful for the research assistance of Goldie Howes*