Dr. Charles Allan Stewart was born on the 24th August, 1906 in Harwich Twp, Kent County. His parents, William Allan Stewart and the former Harriett “Hattie” Atkin were farmers near Erieau. He had one older sister named Harriett Jean and two younger brothers; Reginald Glen and Douglas.
Dr. Stewart attended S.S. #15 Harwich Twp, a one room schoolhouse. He went on to attend Chatham Collegiate Institute and the Chatham Business College. He was an accomplished athlete in high school.
Dr. Stewart graduated M.D. from the University of Western Ontario in 1933. While at university, he managed the rugby team, that won the Intermediate College Championship in 1931. He interned at Victoria Hospital from 1933-35 completing a surgical internship.
Dr. Stewart married Eleanor Alice McDonald on the 14th of June, 1933 in Harwich Township. She was born on the 5th of June in 1907. Mrs. Stewart was the 4th of 5 children born to James McDonald and the former Eleanor Haylock. Her parents lived at lot 8, Concession 6 of Harwich Twp (Kent County) and they were farmers at the time of her birth. Mrs. Stewart’s siblings were Doris Jean, Helen Beatrice, Donald James and Murray Haylock. Mrs. McDonald was a teacher.
Dr. and Mrs. Stewart had 4 children; Janet, Harriet, Bill and Allan who were all born in Chatham.
Dr. Stewart joined the medical practice of Dr. John Samuel Agar and settled his family in Chatham in August, 1935. Dr. and Mrs. Stewart resided at 206 Victoria Avenue. According to the 1941 Shepherds City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. Stewart’s office was located at 247 King Street. He took specialist training in anesthesia at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal for two summers. He practiced in Chatham until August of 1942.
With World War II raging in Europe, Dr. Stewart enlisted in the R.C.A.M.C. and went overseas in December of 1942. He was assigned to the No. 10 C.G.H. in England through the Normandy Campaign. He was moved to the No. 1 Canadian Mobile Neuro-Surgical Unit located in France in October of 1944 and he worked as an anesthetist. Dr. Stewart was promoted to the rank of Major in January of 1945. He was transferred to the Canadian Army Medical Hospital in Taplo, England. Dr. Stewart completed his service and returned to Chatham in October of 1945.
Dr. Stewart moved to London, Ontario in 1952. He enjoyed the outdoors and particularly enjoyed fly fishing for salmon. The Stewart family resided at 144 Sherwood Avenue in London.
Dr. Stewart died on the 25th of November, 1995.
*Dr. Stewart is also featured on the ‘Gathering Our Heroes’ website.
**Dr. John Samuel Agar also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.