Dr. Arthur Atkinson Milligan was born in Toronto on the 31st of October, 1872. He was the youngest of 6 children born to Robert John Milligan and the former Rebecca Atkinson. His father was a printer and his siblings were; Jennie, William, Frances, Nellie and Maud.
Dr. Milligan graduated M.D.,C.M. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1895. He joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 29th of May, 1895. Dr. Milligan set up his medical practice in Tilbury, according to the 1897 and 1900 area business directories. The 1901 census, lists Dr. Milligan as a boarder in Tilbury. In June of 1911, Dr. Milligan was living with his parents at 327 Queen Street in Toronto.
Dr. Milligan married Maria “Mina” (Robinson) Markle, on the 23rd of November, 1911 in London, Ontario. She was born on the 23rd of November, 1872 in Napanee, Ontario the daughter of George F. Robinson and the former Joanna “Annie” Van Valkenberg. She had a younger sister named Emma. Mrs. Milligan had been married to William Henry Markle in 1892. Mr. Markle died on the 11th of January, 1900.
By 1921, Dr. and Mrs. Milligan resided at 221 Roxton Road, in Toronto.
Mrs. Milligan died on the 25th of May, 1941. She was buried at Riverview Cemetery in Napanee. Dr. Milligan retired from the practice of medicine in 1942.
Dr. Milligan died at the Toronto Western Hospital on the 23rd of October, 1944. At the time of his death he was residing at 221 Roxton Road. He was buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto. No tombstone marks his grave.