Dr. Alfred Kensey Dewson was born on the 21st of January, 1812 in Wolverhampton, England. His father was Lieutenant Jeremiah Wilkes Dewson, a member of the British Army. His mother was the former Elizabeth Kensey. He was the eldest son of 10 children born to the couple.
Dr. Dewson obtained his medical degree from Columbia College, New York in 1835. He set up his medical practice at 62 Yonge Street in Toronto in August of 1835. In 1837 he was the surgeon to the 2nd Battalion, Queen’s Light Infantry.
In 1839 he married Emily Baby. She was born in 1812 and they had 5 children. Adeline was born in 1843, Emily in 1845, Alfred “Fred” in 1847, Fannie in 1851 and William in 1852.
According to the Centennial Chronicle of Kent Doctors by Victor Lauriston and the Medical Men of Essex County by Dr. J. W. Brien, Dr. Dewson practiced medicine in Chatham.
Dr. Dewson practiced mainly in the Windsor area. Dr. Dewson helped to set up the local school system in Amherstburg. He was also instrumental in the planning of All Saints Church in Windsor. In 1854, Windsor had a population of 750 people and only 1 doctor, Dr. Alfred Dewson. During the cholera epidemic, he set up a cholera hospital in the Great West Storehouse at the corner of Moy Ave. and Riverside Drive.
According to the 1862 Great Western Railway Gazetteer and Business Directory, Dr. Dewson was a physician and the town treaurer. The Business Directory records his residence in Sandwich (Twp). On Page 76 of the 1866-1867 Essex County Directory and Gazetteer, Dr. Alfred K. Dewson advertised his medical practice and his residence located on Sandwich Street, Second Door East of McDougall Street.
Dr. Dewson died on the 25th of October, 1868 in Warwick, Ontario. Mrs. Emily Dewson died on the 14th of October, 1875 in Windsor, Ontario. They are buried at Windsor Grove Cemetery.