Dr. Ivan Gordon McIntyre was born on the 23rd of January, 1909 in Dublin, Ireland. Dr. McIntyre was the youngest of 4 children born to George McIntyre and the former Margaret Isabella Layng. Dr. McIntyre’s father was a school teacher and his siblings were; Angeline Isabella McIntyre, Eileen Frances McIntyre and William Percival Edwin McIntyre. In 1911 the McIntyre family resided at 20 Bushey Park Road in Dublin.
Dr. McIntyre attended St. Andrew’s College prior to attending Trinity College, Dublin University. He graduated M.B. in 1932. Dr. McIntyre interned at Sir Patrick Duns Hospital in Dublin and at the General Hospital, Jersey in the Channel Islands. Dr. McIntyre furthered his education in radiology at the Royal Hospital for Incurables in Dublin in 1934.
Dr. McIntyre married Anne Lowson Sheed on the 9th of September, 1939. A wedding announcement appeared in the Daily Telegraph on the 12th of September, 1939 announcing that, “Owing to the war the marriage took place quietly…” Mrs. McIntyre was born on the 13th of February, 1902 in what is now London, England. She was the youngest of 2 children born to Alexander Fullerton Sheed and the former Helena Hadfield. Her father was a produce agent and she had an older brother named Alexander Hadfield Sheed.
In 1939 Dr. and Mrs. McIntyre lived at 9 Lanchester Road in London, England. In the 1940’s Dr. and Mrs. McIntyre lived at 68 Kimmage Road East, Terenure, Dublin, Ireland. In the 1950’s they lived on Manor Road, Reigate, Surrey England. According to British phone book records, Dr. McIntyre was in practice with a fellow radiologist named Dr. Offord. Their office was located at 93 Station Road in Redhill and their telephone number was 337. Redhill is in close proximity to Reigate and South of London.
Dr. McIntyre received an honorary fellowship from Cambridge University in 1963.
Mrs. McIntyre died on the 2nd of December, 1964 in Surrey, England.
Dr. McIntyre moved to Canada and settled in the Town of Wallaceburg and became a full-time radiologist at Sydenham District Hospital on the 9th of January, 1967.
In his spare time, Dr. McIntyre enjoyed music and playing bridge.
Dr. McIntyre died on the 10th of April, 1988. His name appears on a family tombstone located at Mount Jerome Cemetery in Dublin, Ireland.
*Dr. McIntyre’s brother Dr. William Percival Edwin McIntyre M.D., became a Surgeon Rear Admiral and an Honorary Physician to the Queen.