Dr. Wilson Gibbs McKay was born on the 15th of May, 1906 in Oshawa, Ontario. He was the 2nd of 3 sons born to Dr. Thomas Wills Gibbs McKay and the former Alice Adella Drew. His brothers were Donald Drew McKay and Ian Blake McKay. Dr. McKays father was a prominent medical physician in Oshawa. In 1921, the family resided at 58 King Street East in Oshawa.
Dr. Wilson Gibbs McKay graduated from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1934. While in university, Dr. McKay played rugby and he ran track. After completing his internship, he started practicing medicine in Chatham in 1935. His office was located at 117 Wellington Street West.
He married Laura “Eleanor” Rose in 1936. She was born on the 7th of May, 1911 in the Village of Clarkson, Peel County. Her parents, Joseph Rose and the former Orpha Shain were farmers. She was the eldest of 5 children. Her siblings were; Lloyd, Donald and Bernice. A baby sister Alice died in 1920 at the age of 10 months.
After their marriage, Dr. and Mrs. McKay moved to the Oshawa area. They were parents to 3 daughters and 2 sons.
Dr. McKay served with the Royal Canadian Air Force during WWII.
Eventually Dr. McKay specialized in obstetrics and gynaecology. He had practicing privileges at the J.O. Ruddy Memorial Hospital (now known as Lakeridge Health Whitby) and the Oshawa General Hospital. He served as Chairman of the Board of Health in Oshawa.
Dr. McKay died at the Toronto Western Hospital on the 21st of April, 1971. Mrs. McKay died in Toronto on the 11th of October, 2005.