Dr. William Frederick Glen was born on December 17th, 1899 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. He was the youngest of 7 children born to James Glen and the former Jean Alexander. His siblings were; Jennet, John, Andrew, Ernest, Grace and Agnes. Dr. Glen was raised on a farm and he attended a rural school. He attended Moose Jaw College, a Presbyterian boarding school for high school. Upon his graduation he was a gold medalist and went to study agriculture at Saskatchewan University. He worked for the Ministry of Agriculture of Saskatchewan and saved enough money to pay for medical school.
While at Queen’s University he was a gold medalist and he was on the university wrestling team. He was one of the founders of the Queen’s Summer School Journal and he was also an associate editor and the first business manager of the Journal. He graduated from M.D.,C.M from Queen’s University in 1932. Dr. Glen interned at Oshawa General Hospital and returned to Saskatchewan to practice medicine.
He married Elvira Douglas Belch on the 21st of September, 1928. She was born in September of 1905, the eldest child of Frederick James Arthur Belch and his wife Eugenie. According to the 1905 U.S. Census, Frederick and Eugenie Belch were living in Syracuse, New York. Her father enlisted in WWI on the 14th of August, 1917. On his attestation, he recorded his occupation as a “journalist”. When her father enlisted, Mrs. Glen and her family were living in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She had two younger brothers; Kenneth and Frank.
Dr. and Mrs. Glen resided in Saskatchewan from 1933-1946 and Dr. Glen practiced medicine in Bursie, Central Bute and Shaunavon, Saskatchewan before moving to Chatham in 1946. Dr. and Mrs. Glen resided on Victoria Ave., in Chatham and Dr. Glen was held in high regard as a physician.
Dr. and Mrs. Glen were the proud parents of 6 daughters; June, Dorothy-Anne, Joyce, Heather, Donna and Lynn. (His daughter Joyce married Dr. George R. Walker).
Dr. Glen was involved with the Chatham Kiwanis Club, and served as president for a term. Dr. Glen was a Master Mason and an elder of the First Presbyterian Church. He enjoyed playing bridge and golf.
Dr. Glen retired in 1970. He died in St. Catharines, Ontario on September 18th, 1978. Mrs. Glen died in 1995. They are buried at Victoria Lawn Cemetery, in St. Catharines.
*Dr. George Ralph Walker also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.