William Clarkson Freeman
Dr. William Clarkson Freeman was born on the 24th of July, 1854 in Windham Twp, (Norfolk County), Ontario. His parents, William Freeman and the former Mary Smith were farmers. Dr. Freeman was the 4th of 5 children. His siblings were Albert, James, Salinda and Charles. Dr. Freeman graduated from Trinity Medical College in Toronto in 1876. He was licensed by the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1877. His brother Charles also became a physician.
Upon his graduation, Dr. William Clarkson Freeman set up his medical practice in Scotland, Brant County, Ontario.
Dr. Freeman married Jane Margaret Scott in Owen Sound, Ontario on the 7th of January, 1880. Dr. Freeman listed his residence as Meaford on the marriage record. Mrs. Freeman was born in Owen Sound on the 15th of July, 1853, the daughter of Thomas Scott and the former Mary Ann Love. Her father was a political figure holding office as the Mayor of Owen Sound and serving as an M.P.P. for Grey North from 1867 to 1875. Mrs. Freeman was the eldest of 6 children. Her siblings were Mary Ann, Sarah, Thomas, John and William. Her brother William became a physician in Michigan. Dr. Freeman’s marriage to Jane M. Scott ended in divorce. She returned to Owen Sound to live with her family, keeping her married name. There were no children born to her and Dr. Freeman. She died in 1914 and she was buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Owen Sound.
Dr. Freeman moved to Morpeth around 1900. He married Catherine ‘Augusta’ DeCow (Doan) Richardson on the 25th of August, 1909 in Detroit, Michigan. Mrs. Freeman was born on the 16th of December, 1870 in Doans Hollow (North of Port Dover), Norfolk County. She was the 4th of 5 children, born to her parents, Emanuel Doan and the former Catherine DeCow. Her parents were farmers and her siblings included Fredrick, Edith, Nina and Wallace. Mrs. Freeman was previously married to Charles Wright Richardson of Morpeth on the 5th of May, 1897. Mr. Richardson was 34 years older than Augusta when they were married. He was 59 years old and she was 25. They had 3 children, Catherine (b. 1898), Melvin (b. 1900) and Frederick (b. 1902). Mr. Richardson died on the 16th of June, 1904.
Dr. and Mrs. Freeman had a son Harold Clarkson Freeman born to them in Morpeth on the 28th of March, 1911. (According to the birth record, Harold Clarkson Freeman was born the 28th of March, 1911. According to his tombstone at the Robinson Cemetery in Texas his date of birth is listed as the 28th of February, 1911….the discrepancy is the month).
According to the 1920 census, Dr. and Mrs. Freeman and their son Harold were living in Angleton, Texas. Dr. Freeman’s occupation was listed as a physician in general practice. His wife Augusta was employed as a typist in an ‘abstract office’. In 1930, the Freeman family was living at 3001 Bookhout Street in Dallas, Texas. Dr. Freeman was retired but his wife was employed as a clerk and his son Harold was now 19 and working as a stenographer. In 1940, Dr. and Mrs. Freeman and Harold were residing at 2600 Lasker St., in Waco, Texas. Mrs. Freeman and Harold were working as stenographers at the United States Veterans Bureau.
Dr. Freeman died on the 3rd of March, 1945. Mrs. Freeman died on the 9th of January, 1954. They are buried at Rosemound Cemetery in Waco, Texas.
*Dr. Freeman’s step son, Frederick Charles Miller Richardson served during WWII for the United States Armed Services.