Dr. William Albert Elgie was born on the 19th of September, 1892 in Dawn Mills. At the time of his birth his father George Albert Elgie was a farmer on the 9th concession of Camden Twp. His mother was the former Margarett Elizabeth Corlett. He had an older brother named Earl, a younger brother named Albert (who died as an infant), a younger brother named Goldwin and a sister named Cora. He attended the local Dawn Mills School and he attended Albert College in Belleville, Ontario. He studied at the University of Western Ontario and obtained his medical degree in 1919, specializing in radiology. In 1919, he set up his practice in Chatham and registered with the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 17th of June, 1919. According to the 1920 Vernon’s City of Chatham Business Directory, his medical office was located at 36 Sixth Street.
Dr. Elgie married Marjorie Grace Westman in Chatham, on the 14th of September, 1921. She was born in London, Ontario on the 31st of December, 1893 the daughter of Alfred Douglas Westman and the former Minnie Eden. At the time of her birth, her family lived at 53 Gray Street in London, Ontario. She was the eldest of 4 children. Her siblings were; Beatrice, Gladys and Harry (who died in his childhood of scarlet fever). By 1901 the Westman family lived in Chatham at 411 King Street and her father was a hardware merchant.
Dr. and Mrs. Elgie had two sons, William Albert Elgie and Douglas Westman Elgie.
According to the 1929 Vernon City of Chatham Directory, Dr. Elgie’s medical office was still located at 36 Sixth Street. Dr. Elgie was a member of the Kent Medical Society and for a number of years he was the Chief of Radiology at St Joseph’s Hospital in Chatham. Dr. Elgie, owned 1,800 acres of land near Bothwell. He grew evergreen trees and raised Hackney horses on his farm. According to the 1941 Shepherds City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. Elgie’s medical office was located at 53 Sixth Street.
Dr. Elgie was only 53 years old, when he suffered a heart attack and died on the 6th of April, 1946. His funeral was conducted at St. Andrew’s United Church in Chatham. Dr. Elgie was buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.
Photo: Courtesy of the Elgie Family