Dr. William Adolphus Hughson was born in London, Ontario in 1845, the son of Rev. Wentworth Hughson and the former Elizabeth Dobbyn. He was the eldest of 6 boys. His siblings were; Francis, John, Oscar, Wentworth and James.
Dr. Hughson graduated M.D. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1866. He set up his medical practice in Dresden. Dr. Hughson is listed in the 1869 Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory as practicing in Dresden.
He married Elizabeth ‘Libbie’ Gee in Dresden on the 5th of May, 1869. She was born in Dresden, and was 19 years old at the time of their marriage. According to the 1870 U.S. Census, Dr. and Mrs. Hughson were living in Delevan, Walworth Cty., Wisconsin. and they had a 4 month old daughter named Susan who had been born in February of 1870, in Canada. Dr. and Mrs. Hughson buried a child, most likely Susan at the Spring Grove Cemetery in Delevan. The child died on the 31st of August, 1871.
Dr. Hughson attended the Hahnemann College of Medicine in Chicago and he studied homeopathic medicine. By 1874, Dr. Hughson and his family were living in Sacramento, California. His office is listed on the southwest corner of 4th and J. Dr. and Mrs. Hughson had 3 more daughters, Edith who was born in 1871, Iva Eleanor who was born 1876 and Beth who was born in 1886.
In the 1880 City Directory, Dr. Hughson is listed as the President of the Board of Health. He was also the First Vice President of the California Homeopathic Medical Society in 1883. In the 3rd volumn of the California and Californians book, published in 1932 it makes reference that Dr. Hughson donated his time and expertise to the Sacramento Protestant Orphanage. Further it states that Dr. Hughson had one of the largest practices in the City of Sacramento and he was instrumental in the treatment of typhoid fever.
By 1893, Dr. Hughson’s office was located at 1008 8th Street. His telephone number was 72.
Dr. Hughson died on the 24th of April 1894. Mrs. Hughson died on the 7th of August, 1931. They are buried at the East Lawn Memorial Park in Sacramento, California.