Dr. Thomas “Tim” Ivison Barnby was born in Wellington County on the 1st of December, 1897, the 3rd of 6 children born to Rev. Robert Hunter Barnby and the former Fanny Ivison. Dr. Barnby’s family tended to move around as his father was a Methodist Minister. His siblings were; Vera Erena, Marjorie Kathleen, Eunice Jean, Fannie Ruth and Mary Dorothy. His education was documented at Milverton and Belmont, Ontario before completing his matriculation at London Collegiate Institute. He graduated from The Ontario College of Education in Toronto in 1917 with his teaching certificate. Dr. Barnby gained some experience in the banking business prior to enlisting in the R.C.N.A.S. during WWI.
Dr. Barnby taught school in the Toronto area prior to enrolling at the University of Western Ontario. Initially Dr. Barnby was to graduate medical school with the class of 1923, but a severe illness during the spring of 1923 delayed his graduation until 1925. While at university his classmates dubbed Dr. Barnby, “Tim”. He played on the hockey team and participated as a manager on the basketball team.
Dr. Barnby interned at Victoria Hospital from 1925 until 1926. After completing his internship he set up his medical practice in Rodney (Elgin County). Dr. Barnby made the relatively short journey in to Chatham-Kent to see patients. His name appears on birth and death records in the Duart area. Dr. Barnby’s medical office was located at the corner of Furnival Road and Clark Road.
Dr. Barnby married Euphemia “Effie” Marshall Wilson on the 4th of June, 1927. Mrs. Barnby was born in St Thomas, on the 6th of December, 1898. She was the youngest of 8 children born to James Wilson and the former Janet Marshall. Her parents were born and raised in Scotland. They married in Scotland and had their first 2 children in Scotland prior to immigrating to Canada in 1886. Mrs. Barnby’s father was a plumber and her siblings were; Lucy, George, Janet, Helen, Robert, Florence and Douglas. Mrs. Barnby was a nurse.
While he lived in Rodney, Dr. Barnby enjoyed lawn bowling and fishing in his spare time.
Dr. and Mrs. Barnby had two daughters named Patricia and Janet.
In 1940 Dr. Barnby sold his practice to Dr. J. R. Whittaker. He did post-graduate studies in the United States and opened a medical practice in Windsor upon his return to Ontario. In 1949, Dr. and Mrs. Barnby lived at 1909 Verdun Ave. in Walkerville (Windsor). His medical office was located in the Medical Arts Building. By 1972 Dr. and Mrs. Barnby resided at 3801 Wyandotte Street East.
Mrs Barnby died in May of 1991. Dr. Barnby died on the 29th of April, 1991.