Dr. Stewart Archibald MacDonald was born November 27th, 1912 in Forward, Saskatchewan. His parents were Dr. Archie MacDonald and the former Euphemia “Effie” Jean Stewart. His father, was born in Ontario and travelled across the prairies as a physician for the Canadian Pacific Railway crew that was building the railway line across Canada in the early 1880’s. Once Dr. Archie MacDonald reached southern Saskatchewan, he decided to put down roots. In 1912 Dr. and Mrs. MacDonald were living in Forward, Saskatchewan and Dr. Archie MacDonald was a practicing medical physician. The community of Forward was established in 1911 and today it no longer exists but in 1911 it was a thriving community complete with a school, church, firehall, lumber yard and a pharmacy that was run by Dr. Archie MacDonald. According to the 1916 census and the 1921 census Dr. Archie MacDonald, his wife Jean and their young son Stewart were living in Khedive, Saskatchewan. (Khedive, Saskatchewan no longer exists and it was formally dissolved in 2002). Dr. and Mrs. MacDonald had 3 children, but Stewart was the only child to survive into adulthood.
Dr. Stewart MacDonald was educated in local schools in Saskatchewan. He attended Regina College then obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree at the University of Saskatchewan in 1936. Dr. MacDonald continued his studies at St. Thomas Medical Hospital in London, England. In 1940, while Dr. MacDonald was a student at St Thomas University, it was bombed and severely damaged during “The Blitz”. Dr. MacDonald and his classmates were moved to Edinburgh University and his medical training was fast tracked. He graduated in 1942 and enlisted in the Canadian Army while overseas. Dr. MacDonald served in the Normandy campaign, through Holland and into Germany as a medical officer of the 2nd Canadian Army. He continued to serve in occupied Germany running immunization and aid clinics for the thousands of people that had been displaced.
After the war, Dr. MacDonald did post graduate studies at the University of Saskatchewan, the University of London (England) and The University of Toronto. He was board certified in otolaryngology, C.C.P. and S. on January 1st, 1953.
Dr. MacDonald married Eva “Phyllis” Hume in Sarnia in November of 1955. She was born in Coburg on the 9th of May, 1926, the 2nd of 3 children born to Thomas James Hume and the former Eva May Martin. Her parents were dairy farmers and her siblings were; Thomas Donald Hume and Giles Alexander Hume. Mrs. MacDonald served with the Royal Canadian Air Force during WWII. She was based at Trenton and she worked as a meteorologist. After the war, she graduated in nursing and worked at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.
Dr. and Mrs. MacDonald arrived in Chatham in 1958. In the 1963 Vernon’s City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. MacDonald’s office was listed at 383 Wellington Street West.
In 1968 Dr. MacDonald moved to Bathurst, New Brunswick where he specialized as an otolaryngologist at the Valley Lourdes Clinic. Dr. MacDonald returned to Chatham in 1975 and his medical office was located at 385 Wellington Street West.
Dr. MacDonald was a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons and a proud member of the Royal Canadian Legion.
Dr. and Mrs. MacDonald had one son. Dr. MacDonald also had a daughter from a war-time marriage that ended in divorce.
Dr. MacDonald died at the Public General Hospital in Chatham on the 16th of March, 1983. Mrs. MacDonald died on the 18th of June, 1994. Dr. and Mrs. MacDonald are buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.