Dr. Sibree Clarke was born on the 2nd of July, 1833, in Coventry, England, the son of Rev. William and Mary Anne Clarke. He was one of 9 children. He was 4 or 5 years old, when his family moved from England to Canada. According to the 1851 census, the Clarke family was living in Simcoe, Norfolk County and Dr. Clarke’s occupation was listed as an engineer.
Dr. Clarke was living in Dresden when he married his wife, Isabella Miller on the 12th of October, 1859 in Dresden. They were married by his father, and his brother Phillip Clarke was married at the same ceremony to Charlotte Miller, the sister of Isabella. Mrs. Clarke was born in 1836 in Scotland, the daughter of James and Jane Miller.
Dr. and Mrs. Clarke had 7 children; Fanny, John, Catherine, Gertrude, William, Maud and Mable.
Dr. Clarke was listed in the 1869 Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory. It states that Dr. Clarke is an M.D. and a druggist. The 1870 Sutherland’s Gazetteer Business Directory, reflects Dr. Sibree Clarke was an M.D., a telegraph agent and he sold medicines. According to the 1892 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Clarke joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 4th of July, 1877. In the 1880 Kent Directory, it states that he was a physician and his office and residence were located on Metcalfe Avenue in Dresden.
Dr. Clarke was initiated into the Masons on the 9th of January, 1871. He belonged to the Sydenham Lodge No. 255 in Dresden. Dr. Clarke sat on the Dresden Town Council in 1873.
In the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Clarke is noted as being in practice prior to the 1st of January, 1850 and he was certified by The Homeopathic Members of Council.
In 1883, Dr. Clarke and his family moved to New Westminster, British Columbia. There he opened a drug store with his partner S. D. Curtis. In 1885 he moved to Kamloops, British Columbia and opened a pharmacy. Dr. Clarke was appointed as a coroner on the 4th of August, 1886. The 1890 Henderson’s Gazetteer and Directory recognized Dr. Clarke as being a physician and surgeon in Kamloops. Dr. Clarke became the first mayor of Kamloops in 1893 and he served for 6 months. That same year he was elected Grand Master of the British Columbia Masons and served until 1894. Dr. Clarke was also a member of the I.O.O.F.
In 1907, at the age of 75, he opened up a drug store in Lillooet, B.C. He followed up, with another drug store in Ashcroft B.C. The Lillooet store burned down in 1917. Dr. Clarke still served as a coroner and managed his drug store’s in Ashcroft and Kamloops.
Mrs. Clarke died in 1912. Dr. Clarke died on the 8th of May 1919 in Kamloops. They are buried at the Pleasant Street Cemetery, in Kamloops.