Dr. Sarah Georgiana McVean was born in Dresden, Ontario on the 21st of December, 1886. She was the second of 10 children born to Osgood McVean and the former Catharine Philpott. On her birth record her father’s occupation is listed as a bookkeeper. Osgood McVean’s father Alexander McVean, owned a wood working factory in Dresden, that produced wagon wheels. When Alexander McVean retired in 1890, Osgood and his brother William took over the ownership of the factory. Dr. McVean was raised in a home located at 379 Hughes Street in Dresden. This home has been included on the Chatham-Kent Municipal Heritage Register.
Her siblings were; John, Alice, Kathleen, Alexander, Mary, James, Osgood, Patrick and Esther.
Dr. McVean attended the Dresden Public School and London Collegiate Institute. She graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1908 and she interned at South Framingham Hospital in Framingham, Massachusettes, U.S.A.
Dr. McVean practiced in Dresden, from 1911 until 1916. During this period of her life, she lived with her large family on Hughes Street. She is listed in the 1913 Bell Telephone Directory. Her office was located on St George Street and her telephone number was 64a.
She moved to Hamilton, where she worked until her retirement around 1950. Dr. McVean retired to Port Lambton where she lived with her brother Alex. Her sister, Alice married Dr. Walter E. Lake in Dresden on the 10th of June, 1914. Her sister Mary Osgood McVean married Dr. William Bethune in Dresden on the 31st of March, 1921.
Dr. McVean died on the 10th of September, 1979 in Wallaceburg. She was buried at the Dresden Cemetery.
*Dr. Walter Edward Lake also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.