Dr. Oliver Springer was born in Glanford Twp, Wellington County, Ontario in 1837. His parents Richard Springer and the former Catherine DePew, were farmers. His siblings were William (born in 1830, who also became a doctor), Lucinda born in 1831, Sarah in 1834, Miles in 1842 and Mahlon in 1847.
Dr. Springer graduated M.D. from the Western Homeopathic College in Columbus, Ohio in 1861. He was licensed by the Homeopathic Medical Board in 1862. According to the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Springer joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 5th of June, 1869. In 1861 he was practicing medicine in Chatham, Ontario. According to the 1874-1875 Kent County Business Directory and the 1877 Chatham Directory, Dr. Springer’s office was located on Centre Street in Chatham.
He married Henriette Allenor on the 12th of January 1870 in Chatham. She was born on the 13th of November, 1842 in Ypsilanti, Michigan, the daughter of John Allenor and the former Mary Sussons. According to the 1851 Census, the Allenor family lived in Chatham.
Dr. and Mrs. Springer had 4 children, all born in Chatham. Clara was born in November of 1870, Richard Oliver was born in 1873, William was born in 1878 and Louis Franklin was born in 1880. At one time the home and office of Dr. Springer were located on Harvey Street, but eventually the office moved to 47 Wellington St. near St. Joseph’s Church. Dr. Springer advertised his medical practice in a number of business directories. According to the 1896 Chatham City Directory, Dr. Springer had re-located his medical office to 16 Wellington Street in Chatham.
Dr. Springer died in Chatham on the 6th of July, 1898.
Mrs. Henrietta Springer died on the 6th of April, 1920. At the time of her death, she resided at 104 Harvey Street in Chatham.
Dr. and Mrs. Springer are buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.